Baratza Forté AP and French Press...

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Fluffeepuff

#1: Post by Fluffeepuff »

The Baratza Forté-AP is the grinder I'm leaning towards for my espresso setup - for background, I've narrowed it to either the Quick Mill Vetrano 2B or the Izzo Alex Duetto 3.0 for my machine.

I plan to do approximately 80% of my coffee making with the espresso machine and this grinder, but wanted to know if anyone had any experience (either in person or knows someone that has tried this) using the Forté-AP for French Press. I've read a lot of posts and reviews, with some people saying it can grind coarse enough for FP, and others saying it can't.

Keep in mind I really don't plan on switching my grind settings back and forth all the time, I just want to know if it is capable in case I ever relegated it to FP duty down the road or for the occasional FP duty week.

Eastsideloco

#2: Post by Eastsideloco »

The Forte burrs are the same as the Vario. The maximum grind size is considerably finer/smaller with the ceramics burrs vs. the steel burrs, which are ideal for brewing. Presumably (and more importantly) the ceramic burrs also create more micro-fines than the steel burrs, but I haven't done any side by side testing with a sieve to prove or quantify this. I trust the manufacturer and the feedback reported here and on other forums.

If you're only occasionally going to brew a press pot, I'd say that the ceramic burrs are capable of accommodating this. It just won't be an ideal setup for press pot. The steel burrs are much better for brewed methods in general and press pot in particular.

I'd try the Forte for press pot and see how it works for you. You can always pick up a virtuoso later. Or install the steel burrs in the forte at a later date, if you upgrade to a titan grinder for espresso.

Advertisement
Fluffeepuff (original poster)

#3: Post by Fluffeepuff (original poster) replying to Eastsideloco »

Thanks for the input! I think you're right that for my occasional use it should be fine... and if it warrants another grinder a Virtuoso or something equivalent would be doable.

Feuros

#4: Post by Feuros »

I've been using my Forte for French press since my machine broke down.
It does a decent, if not perfect job. Maybe a few too many fines, but a little chewiness in the bottom of the cup won't kill ya.

Fluffeepuff (original poster)

#5: Post by Fluffeepuff (original poster) replying to Feuros »

Thanks for the first-hand experience! I feel much more confident in the grinder choice :mrgreen: