Vibiemme Junior - heater power failure

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
kray

#1: Post by kray »

Just this morning when I came back to pull that third shot, I noticed that the boiler gauge was reading zero, and the heater element light was off (even though the machine was still on). After opening up the machine, I noticed that where the two black wires attach to the top of the boiler (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these are the power leads for the heater element), that the front tab (see where pencil is pointing in photo) was very loose and wobbly. The tab closest to the viewer is firm and normal feeling.

Can anyone tell me what this nob is that the wires attach to, and if it is replaceable? It appears to unbolt from the top of the boiler. I assume that this is the cause of the problem, but if there are other ideas, I'd like to hear them. Finally, is this the kind of repair that I can do myself? I'm pretty handy, but I want the problem fixed properly.

Thanks in advance,

Kirk

kray (original poster)

#2: Post by kray (original poster) »

Additional information... after looking at Stefano's site, the part in question appears to be the safety thermostat (Klixon)... but what should be a red button on top, is a melted black ball of hard plastic. It obviously got too hot.