Mypressi TWIST vs. Handpresso? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
pacificmanitou

#11: Post by pacificmanitou »

I recall at one point someone gutted the electronics (if you can call them that) and built a caravel that ran on a butane stove. That would be ideal for a glamper. I wouldn't mind having one if it didn't require me to destroy a caravel. When I camp it's ultralight, so I take a thermos of cold brew concentrate, with instant powder as backup/if I go super light or need more space. It tastes awful, so I just down the packet and chase with water, is just to avoid the withdrawal anyway.
LMWDP #366

spressomon

#12: Post by spressomon »

Brandon, interesting idea but like you I don't think I could bring myself to slice up my pristine Caravel either!

To try simpler juice in the backcountry, on our recent Death Valley foray a couple weeks ago, I tried an Espro for the first time. It's a great press tool...but not a 'spro substitute for this guy; it's a problem :D.

The Portapresso makes very tasty espresso...but more dance time than my mypressi. But my mypressi is just a memory now...
No Espresso = Depresso

Advertisement
pacificmanitou

#13: Post by pacificmanitou »

I took an Aeropress to work for a bit. It was good, but not espresso.
LMWDP #366

yakster
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster »

The mod Caravel I remember reading about had a blown element or other issue that prevented it from working properly, if I remember correctly. No need to go that extreme, just boil water on your stove or campfire and pour it into the Caravel or La Peppina.

To keep this on-topic, I used to use my Twist at work, but it was too much trouble and I ended up bringing in my La Peppina instead. I'd thought about selling my Twist off, but now that their discontinued I'm not sure. It did make great shots if the temp and the grind were just right.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

akiley

#15: Post by akiley replying to yakster »

Is the La Peppina sort of an equivalent to the Caravel weight and size wise? If you bring it to Europe, what solutions are available for 220v versus my home in the US on 120v. If one can just pour boiling water into it and bypass the electronic heating, that would make a great camping solution, or for Europe with the 220 volt issue. How hard is it to find these machines to buy? I'm using Mypressi now, but it's a struggle finding cartridges in some locations. (Caribbean anyone)

Back on topic, I've had a MyPressi Twist 2 for two years and have had no problems with it under fairly frequent use. It really makes a great shot. Just took it to Europe for two weeks and it was a real comfort. It wasn't any big deal pulling shots in hotel rooms. In Vienna the cartridges were in almost every grocery store.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yakster »

The La Peppina is similar to the Caravel in that it's an open boiler machine which makes temperature stability easier to achieve and allows you to externally heat the water and pour it into the kettle. Unlike the Caravel, it's a spring lever, but one that you can assist or retard the lever on for more control during the shot. The prices for the La Peppina have declined over the years, unlike the Caravel which has been on an upward trend, and the La Peppina is available with both 120 and 240 V elements. The La Peppina is taller, but not impossible to travel with. There's even a gimmicky steam wand lid for the La Peppina which can steam milk, but I wouldn't consider it ideal.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272