Thoughts on Quickmill Silvano and Rancilio S24

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
EveryBagOfBeans

#1: Post by EveryBagOfBeans »

I have been reading and searching for a home machine that I can brew great espresso with out having to temp surf or use any tricks and I want to steam at the same time or without any waiting time after the brew. I also wanted to spend around $1000.

I was planing on buying a Quickmill Silvano but recently I have found a few Rancilio S24's for sale from a local Restaurant Resale shop. The S24's have been refurbished from reputable companies.

As a first time buyer does anyone have any suggestions, tips or experiences with either machine?

Thanks for the input.

Joe

shawndo

#2: Post by shawndo »

The bench post has a lot of good info on the Silvano

Quick Mill Silvano Review

Mark Prince also has a lot of good things to say about the Breville double boiler. might be worth a look also.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Dooglas

#3: Post by Dooglas »

The Silvano is an unusual combination of single boiler with PID and thermoblock steamer. Reviews on it's capabilities have been fairly favorable. I understand why you are attracted to it at that price point, and it seems to meet your criteria. I also understand that the Rancilio R24 is a lot of machine for the money (in size as well as quality of construction :wink: ), if you can find a used one in decent shape. What I don't understand is that the R24 pretty much has the same foibles as any other HX machine. If you are willing to work with an HX machine, there are quite a few more choices than that particular model used Rancilio. How did other HX machines drop off your list?

Mrboots2u

#4: Post by Mrboots2u replying to Dooglas »

I don think they dropped of his list, he is asking because he has found one local dealer .
Been debated endlessly on lots of forums , HX machines are only as hard to use as the skills and knowledge of the operator allow them to be

"recently I have found a few Rancilio S24's for sale from a local Restaurant Resale shop. The S24's have been refurbished from reputable company"