LONDINIUM II and III Users?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

I missed the launch and many rounds of user reports about the Londinium lever during my long stint away from H-B (a no desk time job for a year). I have spent a few days reading all the reviews, temperature stability epic threads, pros and cons on the machine, and it sounds very interesting.

One of the most interesting things to me is not the L1, but rather the L2 and L3. The price on the multiple group machine seems very reasonable, 5750GBP for three groups. But I have not seen any reviews or reports here about anything other than the single group.

Any feedback from 2 or 3 group users?
LMWDP #371

Kfir

#2: Post by Kfir »

If I remember correctly the Londinium II and III are a bit different than the L1, they have a cold feed Hx and I think there is an option to choose between 1 or 2 spring configuration.

Regarding 1 or 2 springs and what is better in terms of taste I can tell you that the 1 spring configuration gives a nice sweet extraction full with delicate notes.
I have tried the same coffee on a friend's Fiorenzato Piazza San Marco 1 group which has the same group but with 2 springs (although not a TS) and I felt a bit more heavier bodied extraction but some delicate notes were absant.
Another physical aspect is that the 2 spring configuration requires more force to pull the lever (much more).

If I would order the L2 I would take each group with different spring configuration to enjoy both worlds.

Hope this helps...
Kfir.

Advertisement
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by FotonDrv »

Kfir, I believe you are correct, and I would get an L-II with one Group a double spring and the other Group a single spring, for that very same reason :)

Wish I had an L-II......
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Bak Ta Lo (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) replying to FotonDrv »

Wow, a lever machine with two profiles sounds like all kinds of awesome. :twisted:
LMWDP #371

Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

Kfir and Stephen,

OK, so let me be a little lazy and ask without doing my own research, the L2 and L3 are a different setup than the L1, I am guessing that is mainly due to them being only line fed, no pour over version, no pumps. Do they also have different temperature stability management for the group?

How do the L2/L3 compare or differ from the other multiple group commercial levers sold by La Pavoni and Rancilio? I am trying to gently ask if they are "commercial quality" design and build.

I will go cross post on the Londinium forum and ask the same, but wanted to follow up on this thread here too. The large amount of information here and on the web about the one group makes sifting out info on the multiple group machines difficult.

Thanks for your input.
LMWDP #371

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by FotonDrv »

I believe the L-II and the L-III are "Dipper" machines where as the L-I is a thermosiphon machine.

They take longer to get up to temperature but in theory are more stable once there.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Bak Ta Lo (original poster) »

OK, went to their forum and found all the answers there in the long LII owners thread, you asked all the things I was wanting to know. Thanks!
LMWDP #371