Huky 500 mysterious leftover beans

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bean2friends

#1: Post by bean2friends »

After I dump my roast, as I'm cooling the roaster, more beans suddenly appear in the window. I have seen some discussion of this issue so I thought I had avoided it by having a Variac to control the fan speed and leaving the gate valve wide open at all times in the saxophone. But, alas, that handful of beans shows up every time. And, I'm not sure exactly when. I last discovered them when I forgot to close the dump door and then loaded new beans. Of course, out they came mixed with a handful of roasted beans - all over the garage floor. Don't laugh. There's a lot to remember to do here. Suddenly, my RK drum set up seems easy.
Anyhow, I'd sure like to know what I should do to get all the beans out at the end of the roast. Thanks.
Dick

Contrabass_Bry

#2: Post by Contrabass_Bry »

To me, it seems like a matter of the exhaust/charge chute (let's face it, repurposed plumbing) being set at a 90 degree angle to the faceplate.

With how well the vanes agitate, compounded by an extremely powerful fan, a few beans are going to end up perched in that transition. Mr. Li even attempted to tack in a piece to keep them out, but to no avail.

Only suggestion I have is to give it a tip backwards at the end. I do it after my main dump to keep them separate, since they have spent most of their time in a non-ideal roasting environment. It's easy enough to measure their weight for calulating weight loss. Mine never has exceeded 1.3 grams.

Small price to pay, in my mind...

Advertisement
bean2friends (original poster)

#3: Post by bean2friends (original poster) »

Thanks. It's new for me and I just want to make sure it's not something I'm doing wrong. You're right. It's only a small handful of beans and I've been tossing them.

keno

#4: Post by keno »

Check the trier too. A few beans can get stuck in there as well.

#5: Post by 124816 »

Easier than shaking the roaster around is just blowing through the chute. I do this after charging (before hooking up the fan), and after dropping to clean any chaff out of the drum. Just catch any straggler beans in the chaff tray before you dump it. Not the most elegant, but simple and works. Maybe that should be the Huky's motto. :wink:

If you are doing larger batches and end up with beans in the chute, try tilting the roaster back slightly. A 1/4" raise to the front legs of the IR burner leaves the chute empty for me, and doesn't impact evenness or anything else. (Then again, I haven't checked to see if my table started out level...)

bean2friends (original poster)

#6: Post by bean2friends (original poster) replying to 124816 »

Do you just take a deep breath and blow, or are you using something other than yourself?

#7: Post by 124816 »

Just a quick small breath -- not even a deep breath, it's easier than blowing out a candle.