E61 - pre-infusion does not start when reaching middle position with brew lever - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
emradguy
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by emradguy »

I was having the same problem with my Duetto II. I was unable to find a position between pump on and pump not on for pre-infusion to take place. For the first two years I attributed this to not being plumbed in, but when I finally did plumb my machine a few months ago, I was no longer willing to accept that answer. In discussing the problem with Tim over at CCS, I found that the brew switch was protruding through the front of the case too far, so that there was no play just above the brew lever's middle resting position for pre-infusion to happen. In short, Tim diagnosed my problem and provided me the resource that allowed me to fix it in about 5 minutes.

The solution is very easy, and can be performed with the machine off, if you're plumbed in. Tim can send you a diagram...or you can pm me and I'll send it asap. Basically, you remove the case, then insert a flat head screwdriver through one of the holes on the right side of the machine. Use it to turn the nut around the brew switch until it backs out into the right position. You determine the right position by checking if you're able to pre-infuse by lifting the lever ever so slightly above the middle resting position. Once you get it where you want it, you tighten the nut down, replace the cover and you're good to go.

btw, if you haven't downloaded Randy's Vibiemme DB manual, I highly recommend it. There's a wealth of information in there applicable ot any DB machine, so it's a fantastic reference to have in your library.
LMWDP #748

erics
Supporter ★

#12: Post by erics »

btw, if you haven't downloaded Randy's Vibiemme DB manual, I highly recommend it.
Me too . . . as Randy is a former educator and his informational skills, together with his technical expertise, shine.

The VERY BEST way of achieving nice pre-infusion on a plumbed in E-61ish machine is with a delay-on-make relay. Yes, it is a little more complicated than tinkering with brew switches but it affords much more flexibility in that the time can be adjusted and the pressure regulated inlet pressure (2.50 - 3.50 bar recommended) adjusted to your preference.

You may/may not be able to discern the differences between the various methods because espresso production has a sufficient number of other input variables.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

hrbrun (original poster)

#13: Post by hrbrun (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:The true middle position where the lever will stay on its own between "off" and "brew" (fully down and fully up) is a neutral position where all valves are closed. You do need to move it a little further past neutral and hold it in position to pre-infuse manually. And this is only totally effective with a plumbed-in machine.

HERE is the link to download the PDF of the Vibiemme Double Domobar machine which has an excellent section on the E-61. I should know. I wrote it. :wink: The link thanks to Stefano of http://www.Espressocare.com
Randy, very informative and well written information! Thank you for sharing the manual. The generic sections should be mandatory reading for every e61 enthusiast. Maybe it is, just that I had not found it yet :) I have much better understanding of the design and what happens when the brew process goes thru.

Randy G.

#14: Post by Randy G. »

Magnus,
A big thank you, right back at you! To you and your countrymen:

:D
(On the right, my white '90 245 Estate, 5speed. 230,000mi)
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done