Help! Wiring 2 group Expobar 220V espresso machine?? - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
stefano65
Sponsor

#11: Post by stefano65 »

generically speaking for Italia and european (such us your Spanish one)
in your particular configuration HERE in the US
the brown and black together will do one hot leg
the blue the other one
and the ground well the ground
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

homeburrero
Team HB

#12: Post by homeburrero »

homeburrero wrote:Then the next question would be what is your supply? I assumed you were in the UK, but there are lots of Newcastles, some in Canada and in US where you might have split phase 230V wiring. I think in UK and in Austrailia you would have what the chart calls 230Vac Ph + N.
Doh! - just revisited your first post where you said:
thien211 wrote:N.B i am living in UK, it uses 220V as well.
In that case, I think you should have a supply of 230Vac Ph + N where you would join the brown and black for the 'active' side of the plug, connect blue to the neutral, and green for Earth.

As Stefano says, in the US/Canada you would connect blue to the second hot leg. If you had a NEMA 14 (which has two hots and a neutral) you would just not connect the outlet's nuetral to the machine.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Larz

#13: Post by Larz »

Alex, unless you have a decent background in electricity, me thinks Google is not the place where you should go to understand and make decisions when messing with high current 240 volt applications and expensive equipment. Actually USA-based Home-Barista is probably not either. When you posed your original question, I responded very generally by offering and sending you the documentation and directing you to an Expobar rep in England to have your question answered because although I was/am an electrician who also obtained a degree in electrical engineering, I have never had any involvement with European electrical service and thus didn't feel I could give you 100% of the facts on this matter. But since you and others have addressed it again, I am going to wade into it:

The 240 volts used in Europe is quite different from the 220/240 volts used in the US and Canada. You should start by understanding (assuming you are not already sure ) exactly what type of 240v power you have available to you, and configure the machine to that spec. My understanding is that in northern Europe the 240v is single phase for residential service ( we use single but split/center-trapped 240 in the USA). I could be wrong, but I doubt that you have "2 phase plus neutral" 240v electrical service as you indicated. There is for all intent and purposes no such thing as 2 phase power any longer. ...that largely died in the early 20th century) I'm guessing that you have 230/240v single phase. If so you will have three conductors in your supply cable , one neutral, one hot (240) and one ground. You may have to take off an outlet plate to be sure, if you are not handy with meters. If that is the case you will use the blue wire for the neutral, the brown for the hot and the yellow/green for ground....see the upper left circuit of the 6 circuit diagram that Fluke and Homeburrero posted. Please let us know what you learn about this for our personal education.

FYI and others, in the USA our 220/240 volt circuits often (but not always) consist of 2 hot wires, a neutral and a ground. It is called center-tapped single phase (also called split phase but not correctly 2 phase). The voltage between a single hot wire and neutral (or ground) is 110/120v. If you measure across the two hot wires the voltage will be 220/240. That is because each 110v leg of the 220v circuit is essentially 120 degrees out of phase with the other (not 180 degrees since we take our 240 volts from a 3 -phase source: 360 degrees divided by 3 = 120). Most or our appliance circuits thus have, but do not need to incorporate the neutral wire into the circuit, just using the two hot wires and ground. The exception is appliances such as dryers wherein 220 volt is used to power the dryer heaters (220 taken across the two 110v legs) while 110v (one 110v lead and neutral) is used for other peripherals of the machine.

Anyway Alex, be careful and good luck with the project; do contact Lee to ask him exactly what to do on this matter unless you are absolutely certain.(let me know if the email address I PM'ed to you is correct). Again, let us know exactly what electrical supply you have coming into your home when you figure it out for sure.

Cheers

homeburrero
Team HB

#14: Post by homeburrero »

Larz wrote:Alex, unless you have a decent background in electricity, me thinks Google is not the place where you should go to understand and make decisions when messing with high current 240 volt applications and expensive equipment. Actually USA-based Home-Barista is probably not either.
I certainly agree with that. And agree with everything in Larz' post except for one little detail:
Larz wrote:If so you will have three conductors in your supply cable , one neutral, one hot (240) and one ground. You may have to take off an outlet plate to be sure, if you are not handy with meters. If that is the case you will use the blue wire for the neutral, the brown for the hot and the yellow/green for ground....see the upper left circuit of the 6 circuit diagram that Fluke and Homeburrero posted.
Since the OP's machine has four wires (a black as well as a brown wire providing the live side of two circuits in the machine) he will need to look at the middle left of those circuits in the diagram.)
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Larz

#15: Post by Larz »

Quick, someone hand me me spectacles......DOH! Right ye are Pat. Now you know why I was/am reluctant to give electrical advice, despite my education in the field....call it age! :cry: