Early blonding at the back of the shot

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
DeanOelsch

#1: Post by DeanOelsch »

Hi. This is going to sound a bit bizarre but wondering if anyone could shed light on this...

I have the Expobar Brewtus machine with 2 grinders, a Vario and Mini E. My issues since I got the E have been documented here... Trouble with finer grind setting on new Mazzer Mini E. I am still not 100% happy with it. I have bought the Super Jolly Burrs but haven't switched them yet as I am hesitant to go through so much coffee to get them set.

My issue is, when using the Mini and a naked portafilter, my shots blonde towards the back of the puck almost every time. Now I know this could sound like a dosing issue but:
1. It only does it with the Mini.
2. A friend who has used my equipment with a different dosing method has the same issue.
3. It doesn't EVER happen with the Vario so I am struggling to understand how it could be the machine at fault but just as hard pressed to work out how the hell it could be the grinders fault...

Anyone seen this before?
Thanks

frank828

#2: Post by frank828 »

sounds like a distribution issue. likely the grounds are falling more towards the handle and less to the back. try to move the portafilter while it's dosing to get the grounds more centered or more towards the back.

FireBurnDread

#3: Post by FireBurnDread »

Yup, its a distribution issue. If its affecting the taste of your espresso enough to bother you, would suggest you look for a distribution method that's convenient for you.

Personally, I lean the portafilter forwards and tap the front of the portafilter with the heel of my palm a number of times to get thing to fall into place. Wobbling the portafilter around somewhat during the grinding helps too