Having trouble with naked portafilter - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#11: Post by cannonfodder »

It looks like you have a couple of issues. The leaking around the portafilter is most likely due to a bad group gasket. They need need replaced regularly.

The gusher extraction is most likely your grinder. The burrs it uses are the same as the Nemox Lux grinder. However I believe the sunbeam is a stepped adjustment grinder and the steps are way to big from the reports I see. Those are small burrs and do ware out. You may be due for new burrs but a step-less grinder would be much better. You will get close with that one but you will never be able to dial it in exactly with the big stepped adjustment. As long as the coffee is 3-4 days post roast you are OK. The melt down you are having is not from a too fresh a roast. That presents differently. You could try replacing the burrs in the grinder and search the internet for a stepless modification.

The vbm domobar piccolo is a single boiler machine so you can get the boiler temperature set so you do not need a cooling flush. If you just run water out the group does it flash boil (sizzle and spit)? If it does your temp is too high.
Dave Stephens

Drboost (original poster)

#12: Post by Drboost (original poster) »

Ok I'm researching a grinder upgrade. Looking into replacing the burrs in the sunbeam and it will be around 100 but I'd still be stuck with a sub par grinder. Looking into a stepless compak k3 or mazzer mini if the wallet can handle it.

I'll check out the water situation in the morning. I'm round 6 into an infinite toddler tantrum bed time battle lol

achipman

#13: Post by achipman »

One more thing to check would be the roast level of the coffee. I just had a similar experience with a very lightly roasted coffee where it started very slow and then gushed. I don't know if it was due to the roast being too light or if they botched some other part of the roast. My point is that when I changed coffees to a darker roast, the flow was right where it needed to be. Maybe try a different coffee?

P.S. I feel your pain on the bed time battle. Two toddlers of my own. :P
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

Drboost (original poster)

#14: Post by Drboost (original poster) »

Ok. So temp change. Bean change. Few grinds later getting closer. 14g double. I think I let it go a little long but what do you guys think?

http://youtu.be/-u-WmiRw1t0