Descaling a Nickel-Plated Boiler - La San Marco 85 Practical S

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
soonerspresso

#1: Post by soonerspresso »

I recently acquired a used 2004 La San Marco Practical 85 S (one group) from a restaurant supply auction. This is my first BIG project, so I've been doing a LOT of reading on H-B. When I fired it up to test the heating element, pump, etc. everything functioned well except for a lack of water coming from the brew head (I have, since, figured out that that was caused by, at very least, a HEAVILY scaled-up L-Heat Exchanger Tube - so gunked up that I'm going to replace it rather than try to descale it!). Anyway, I've taken, probably, 200 photos of the teardown already and I'm planning a much more thorough documentation of the teardown and rebuild at some later point.

In the meantime, though, I have a question about descaling. I have read quite a bit on H-B about how descaling can remove chrome plating from parts - that seems uncontroversial. There are three hydraulic parts in the LSM that I have that seem to have some sort of plating on them (besides the group head, of course): 1) both the upper and lower circulation tubes look like they are chrome-plated (but, I'm not sure), which I am less concerned about, and 2) the boiler is nickel-plated.

While taking the boiler apart for a good, total descale, I saw that it is both 1) in great shape inside the boiler and 2) really scaled/mucked up in the heat exchanger itself. I was going to go ahead and give everything a good descale bath for safety-sake, but, I'm wondering if this is going to 1) strip the nickel plating and if it WILL strip it, if 2) there are any precautions that I can take to avoid this happening (lower proportion of citric acid? shorter time in the solution?)?

Thanks!

cuppajoe

#2: Post by cuppajoe »

You don't seem you be getting much traction on this, so I'll toss in my fairly nubee two cents worth.

For chrome or nickel, and possibly other, plated parts, a 50/50 white vinegar solution seems to be best. I just did one on the Giotto project and it came out fairly good. A little bit of pink showed up(after 4 soakings,including 2 in citric) that polishing mostly removed. My guess is that most of the pink was due to the citric.

I just acquired a La Cimbali Junior that appears to have a plated boiler and am planning on trying just vinegar this time.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

soonerspresso (original poster)

#3: Post by soonerspresso (original poster) »

Thanks for the recommendations, David. Right now I'm having trouble removing one of the external fittings that holds the heat exchange tube inside the boiler, so, I'm trying to do a bit of delicate, in situ descaling. If that fails (and, I suspect it will) I will probably be dumping the whole thing in a 50/50 vinegar bath and see how it goes. I'll follow-up since others might look for this information at some point in searching the H-B archives ...

cuppajoe

#4: Post by cuppajoe »

Sounds good, unfortunately I have no experience with the La San Marco line. Hoping a decent fixer-upper falls my way at a good price, as I do like the look of the things.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

perfectwheels

#5: Post by perfectwheels »

Hi Jack,
In answer your question on my thread about the 85 Practical, there were not any reverse threads but if I recall correctly I had to use quite a bit of force when removing the heat exchanger.

Also the boiler you see in my images was soaked in a citric acid solution for many days without damage to the nickel, though I did keep an eye on it. I have found that the acid will deposit a thin coating of copper onto chrome and nickel surfaces but this easily comes off with some steel wool.

soonerspresso (original poster)

#6: Post by soonerspresso (original poster) »

Thanks so much, Larry! I was able to very slowly and carefully and systematically descale each bit-and-piece of the boiler without soaking the whole thing in descaler (which, strictly, would have been unnecessary since so much of it was nearly immaculate when I opened up the boiler). Since I was having such trouble with the heat exchange tube, I ended up plugging one end with a wine cork and filled it with a stronger-than-normal citric acid solution (since that tube was, by far, the location of the worst scale in the whole machine), pouring in hot solution, letting it sit for a few hours, then flushing it, and using a pipe-cleaning brush to scrub it out ... then repeating the procedure several more times. In the end, it turned out great -- absolutely no scale left in there.

The last big descale/cleaning challenge will be the group head (which, I just removed from the frame last night). Hopefully no other weirdness ...

Cheers!

perfectwheels

#7: Post by perfectwheels »

Sounds like you are making good progress, have fun!