Refurbished Olympia Maximatic wouldn't pump. Fixed - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
SJM (original poster)

#11: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Good to know. If I had been more confident of that I could have avoided removing the cover, but in the long run I always like seeing/knowing more about what's under the bonnet, and how to get there.

It's time for a glass of wine to replace the day's whine, so....I may not get back to this until tomorrow...

Susan

flathead1

#12: Post by flathead1 »

Susan,
I'm coming to this late but I had the same problem when I recently got my Livietta. It had been shipped completely dry and wouldn't prime when I first filled it up. I had the same symptoms you described. I don't remember where I found it but what finally worked was letting it sit a while (about 2 hrs) and then pulsing the pump about every five minutes for about 30 minutes. It finally self primed and works great.

Hope this helps.

Bill
A Lever and a place to stand ...

LMWDP #152

SJM (original poster)

#13: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Well, that certainly is an easy thing to try until I get the energy to do a more invasive prime.
Thanks Bill.

Susan

SJM (original poster)

#14: Post by SJM (original poster) »

deleted

SJM (original poster)

#15: Post by SJM (original poster) »

EUREKA. Got it.
There was a wire disconnected from the pump.

SJM (original poster)

#16: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Three questions:

1) I to see references to the Maximatic as being an interation of a Pasquini Livietta, but I also see that the Maxi is an HX and the Pasquini is a dual thermoblock. Can someone clarify how these machines are similar and different?

2) After I let her heat up and the boiler heater light goes off I flush (one onethousand, two onethousand......twelve onethousand) and before I'm done doing that the heater light comes on again. So I am confused as to how to proceed. Do I wait for the light to go out again? Purge again after that? Or does all this mean my pstat needs an adjustment?

3) At what output weight have you found the sweet spot for doubles pulled on your Maximatic?

Intrepid510

#17: Post by Intrepid510 »

SJM wrote:Three questions:

1) I to see references to the Maximatic as being an interation of a Pasquini Livietta, but I also see that the Maxi is an HX and the Pasquini is a dual thermoblock. Can someone clarify how these machines are similar and different?
They were the same from 80s-90s. Obviously now as you noted they are different machines.

Eastsideloco

#18: Post by Eastsideloco »

SJM wrote:2) After I let her heat up and the boiler heater light goes off I flush (one onethousand, two onethousand......twelve onethousand) and before I'm done doing that the heater light comes on again. So I am confused as to how to proceed. Do I wait for the light to go out again? Purge again after that? Or does all this mean my pstat needs an adjustment?
You want to pull your shot as quickly as possible after the cooling flush, before the water in the HX get overheated again. Here's Dan Kehn's video:

Olympia Maximatic - Second Look

SJM (original poster)

#19: Post by SJM (original poster) »

So even if the heater light has clicked back on?
Never mind....I got it....:-))))
Excellent audio !!!

Susan