Why is there is no manual coffee grinder with flat burrs in the market? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
aecletec

#11: Post by aecletec »

zencoffeehk wrote:I c! Why i asking this question, because i am planning to make a manual coffee grinder which can install different size and type of burr, such as 71mm & 83mm conical burr and 83mm flat burr! Is it possible? <image>
If the discs are horizontally mounted, the grounds will emerge horizontally. I imagine they'd need to be mounted vertically - that is, with a horizontal shaft - for an efficient hand powered design.

bostonbuzz

#12: Post by bostonbuzz »

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible. Just give props to orphan espresso. The only thing is that going from conicals to flats you will simply need a rotating burr carrier to mount on the shaft. Search terranova's grinder that he made and sold with an optional flat burr mount.

Actually, this part is available for the 83mm flat major. http://www.espressoparts.com/MAZ_33 Just chop off the fins and you may have to resize the hole to the same size as the conical inner burr for easy swapping. Put a ridge for each burr size to nestle in and alignment could be quite easy.
LMWDP #353

zencoffeehk (original poster)

#13: Post by zencoffeehk (original poster) »

This is what i am thinking!
I can place the grinder horizontal or vertical!