A day with an HG-One Master

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by JavaMD »

Recently I traveled to Port Orchard to meet up with Stephen Sweeny who graciously invited me over.
He made me a larger Funnel to sit on top of the HG-One 2014 version to more easily get the beans in and prevent ANY possibility of them "pop corning" out. It also adds a bit of weight and stability to the grinder.
He also fashioned an acrylic portafilter holder with a magnet that centers it right underneath the grind cone and an acrylic "catch funnel/grounds holder" to sit on top of the portafilter.

It makes the WHOLE process MUCH easier ... After a mist of water for the RDT the beans easily funnel into the HG-One .. grind nicely into the portafilter then I can pull it out with the acrylic funnel (it isn't exactly a funnel as it sides are straight but holds all the grounds in the portafilter) still on top, and then swirl the grounds with a glass rod to redistribute them. The "funnel" makes this easy with no loss of grounds over the side during the redistributive stir. Then a simple shake of the portafilter in the holder and that causes the grounds to flatten out after the redistribution and I can tamp and go!
With this system, my shot consistency has gone way up and I smile every time I use it.

Thanks Stephen for your craftsmanship, installing the funnel, and showing me how it all goes together!

Steve Egge

kwantfm

#2: Post by kwantfm »

Mr Sweeney is indeed an amazing individual even to those of us who live many thousands of miles away!
LMWDP #602

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by FotonDrv »

Thanks guys :D

It has been fun helping where I can as well as learning from others who have a better way of doing things. I saw a need for a slight improvement on a great grinder and have been making these Mods ever since.

This has been a great hobby and as long as I can get the acrylic in the correct size those little basket funnels are possible to make. I suppose I could make them out of a solid rod but I suspect the cost would be prohibitive. And then polishing the I.D. of the bored out rod would probably never be perfect.

The OE Tall Ipanema Funnel does a fine job so I try to make the Basket Holder and the PF Holder a height that allows the use of those funnels that OE makes. I still provide the acrylic one with the bases I make if you want to use it instead of the aluminum one.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

IMAWriter

#4: Post by IMAWriter »

kwantfm wrote:Mr Sweeney is indeed an amazing individual even to those of us who live many thousands of miles away!
Stephen, his awesome wife and I had a nice visit here in TN while they were on a "road trip" of sorts. He has a unique life history, full of amazing adventures, and is still super active with several projects seemingly ongoing concurrently. Not sure how he manages all this, and can still play the charming host.
I always enjoy viewing his craftsmanship, and have one of his "funnels" in my possession.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by FotonDrv »

Thanks Rob! It was a good road trip and to be able to get some of that fine sweetly roasted bean you gave us was great :D I aspire to those roasting abilities to run through the hand grinder, I would never dare was to much of it in my Kony.

Keep producing Tunes and roasting fine coffee!

Stephen

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by FotonDrv »

Here are some of the things I have done with the nice HG-One grinder.

http://mini4fun.info/Grinder_HG-One/HG- ... tions.html

There are a few videos in this site so it might take a little longer to load.