ECM Technika advice to bring to America

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Red08

#1: Post by Red08 »

Hello Sir
is it economically advisable to bring this type of model in US(California) its being sold here in Dubai at around 1400$ i think this is not the plumbable version because there is no Stainless Rails on the Drip tray and its 230v-1200w/frequency 50-60hz i dont know the other specification but it looks like the latest model i (fECM Technica profi IV Switchable) if any of you like to check it out i took some picture i will post it Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Tnx ;)

BTD1986

#2: Post by BTD1986 »

Greetings,

You will need a voltage converter, as the voltage in America is 110. The plug with not fit into American outlets.

Red08 (original poster)

#3: Post by Red08 (original poster) »

Hi
Is it expensive, do you recommend to bring it there.cause I also bought a Baratza Preciso grinder with the same specs. Your advice will be greatly appreciated

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

All you would need is a step-down transformer. It will require a big one; don't skimp on the wattage or it will overheat (e.g., the Technika is rated at 1400W in the US, so a 220V version would need a ~2000W transformer). There are many e-commerce sites selling these transformers. Based on my 10 seconds of searching, one can easily acquire a 2000W transformer for around $100.

For what it's worth, I lived overseas for a few years and brought some home appliances and transformers from the US. In retrospect, it was more hassle than it was worth. Instead, I would recommend buying used espresso equipment in the US and selling it before you leave. If it's a popular model based on the E61 and you keep it in good shape, it will probably sell for about the same price as you paid. Most used E61 espresso machines I've seen for sale are in the $800 to $1400 range.
Dan Kehn

Red08 (original poster)

#5: Post by Red08 (original poster) »

Hi
Thanks for taking the time to reply. The reason im considering buying it because it will cost around 1400$ here where as i check in the US this type of model (i think this is not the plumbable version) will cost 1900$ also the vendor will give a free knock box/drawer by ECM and other accessories dont you think its a bargain ? but i still have to check about the warranty if it's international.

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

It's up to you. It seems like a hassle (transformer, warranty, parts) for a maximum savings of $400. As I said earlier, you can buy a second hand espresso machine in the US and resell it prior to your return for what you paid for it. Net cost: $0. If you bring a 220V model to the US, in the (unlikely?) event you want to sell it for any reason prior to your return, you'd take a huge price hit since nobody will want to deal with a bulky transformer and electrical parts that must be special ordered.
Dan Kehn

ira
Team HB

#7: Post by ira »

If you're moving to a house, you can just have 220 put in near the machine, if you're moving to an apartment, there might be 220 near an electric stove, electric dryer or electric water heater, other than that it's likely more trouble than it's worth unless you're going to be taking it back one day. I would also imagine that a 220V machine has almost no resale value here.

Ira

Red08 (original poster)

#8: Post by Red08 (original poster) »

hey guys thanks for the advise and indepth analysis ill heed youre advise Sadly :)