Grinder arrived broken, suggestions?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Hudson

#1: Post by Hudson »

Let me start off by saying hi, as this is my first post! Anyway, as a new Gaggia owner I bought an Ascaso I-mini stepless grinder from 1st-line equipment. Unfortunately it literally came in pieces, totally broken. Obviously I am going to get in contact with them. However now I am reconsidering my purchase, should I stick with buying the Ascaso i-mini or get something else (in a similar price range)?
LMWDP #534

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

1st-Line Equipment is a reputable seller. They can advise you well on a good grinder for your needs and budget. They would be my first call. You will get lots of opinions here on grinders and that has been gone over many times. If you want a list of comparables one was recently developed. Here's the link.

Inexpensive grinders for La Pavoni newbies & others
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

boar_d_laze

#3: Post by boar_d_laze »

I have no personal experience with the Asacaso i-mini. What I do know is that like the LeLit PL53, with which I have a little familiarity, it's one of several Tre Spade grinders which have the reputation among lots of people who actually do know about them as being more or less interchangeable.

Assuming those wise guys folks are right (good assumption), and you want to make a tangible improvement in the cup, the next step up for the least amount of money is the Baratza Vario ($370 refurb direct from Baratza, $450 new). In addition to being better in the cup, the Vario is a lot more pleasant to use in just about every way. However, compared to the LeLit (and by extension, the Ascaso) the Vario is plasticky and flimsy.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Beenbag

#4: Post by Beenbag »

Hudson wrote:... I bought an Ascaso I-mini stepless grinder from 1st-line equipment. Unfortunately it literally came in pieces, totally broken..?
Wow.. thats some rough handling ! :shock:
The I-mini is a solid cast 1 piece, aluminium , grinder.
I dropped one 4 feet onto solid concrete...not even a scratch or a crack in the hopper ( luck !)

Hudson (original poster)

#5: Post by Hudson (original poster) »

The one I ordered was the black plastic one, not the fully metal grinder. After seeing it so broken though, I just might opt for a grinder made of metal, whether the imini, le'lit or perciso.
LMWDP #534

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

I was happy with my Le'Lit, but it has its drawbacks. It's very adjustable and can be dialed in well. It is an entry level, reliable grinder that is surrounded by a steel enclosure. Some of the internals are plastic but mine never broke down. It is loud, somewhat slow, it throws grounds to the left, and it has a clumsy chute you need to remove to brush out excess grounds. I found the results in the cup satisfying. I'm sure if I were to compare it to a Vario or to a Pharos or similar I would find more access to flavor layering in those better grinders.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

genecounts

#7: Post by genecounts »

boar_d_laze said:
In addition to being better in the cup, the Vario is a lot more pleasant to use in just about every way. However, compared to the LeLit (and by extension, the Ascaso) the Vario is plasticky and flimsy.
Really good observation Rich. I agree that it is made of plastic. But flimsy? Have had mine for years and use daily. Nary a prob. Love the Vario.

All that matters to me is "better in the cup" and metal be damned!

Hudson (original poster)

#8: Post by Hudson (original poster) »

Completely agree about what's in the cup as what matters, so I simply want what is best in the cup. My first choice was a baratza persico, but I have read so much about it being "glasslegged" and fragile I don't think I will purchase it. I'm looking for a grinder to last, so metal is my first choice, but I'm not against plastic as long as it can hold up. Still not sure what I will go with. Today I'm going to talk to 1st Line and figure out what's next.
LMWDP #534