Losing beans when removing tryer during roasts? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
boar_d_laze

#11: Post by boar_d_laze »

In the USRC Sample Roaster, the location of the trier port relative to the vanes, limits the trier's length.

The max sample in the stock trier is around 5g. But I don't sample 15sec/2F degree inteIrvals anyway for cupping. That kind of precision isn't how I view coffee (or any other type of food) and I'm not looking for that kind of precision. I break things down into broader categories like C, C/C+, mid C+, C+/FC, and FC, then extrapolate temps for them to the nearest 2F using a sample roast large enough and "normatively profiled" to get accurate milestone temps and sensory information as a baseline.

I'm pretty familiar with the range and profiles I like to work, and can get a very good idea with my first "ideal" profile roast for a given bean whether I want (for instance) separate profiles for brew and espresso and where I'll want them to finish. On the other hand, fooling around with Drying and Ramp intervals and ratios is a matter of whole charges, anyway -- and not much helped by cupping trier pulls.

As long as the trier's big enough for me to get an accurate sniff and eyeball at what's going on, not being able to get a cupping load doesn't bother me one way or the other. But, let me make it very clear, I'm not suggesting that anyone do as I do.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

slickrock

#12: Post by slickrock »

dogjamboree wrote:Steve, is there anything in the roaster preventing a longer tryer from being used, assuming one were available?
Basically the tryer volume on the North is limited by the diameter (which could stand to be a little wider, IMHO), the outboard length limited by the drum vanes (or in this case, the double-decker fin protrusions), and the back plate, which should go all the back to the inner faceplate. It appeared that the original design was based on tryer use for bean inspection only, and was made unnecessarily small (certainly not constrained by clearances) if one wishes to pull roasts. Both Gary and I worked with North to get longer tryers made, since there was ample clearance still available based on the numbers Tim gave us. Indeed, we did get the longer tryers (holds 9 grams), though they could have been made at least a cm longer and still cleared the fins/vanes. Also, the back side of the tryer cavity could be brought back nearly 2cm to bring it in alignment to the inside face of the faceplate. I have plans to move it back myself with an angle grinder, in hopes to bring the capacity up to about 12-13 grams.

Regarding the original topic the, TJ-067 is overbuilt dimensionally for its 1K rated capacity, and has no problems with beans falling out with its angled design and long sheath . Based on my low drop temps at 1K, I could probably push batch size to nearly 2K, and still not have a problem with dropping beans.
07/11/1991, 08/21/2017, 04/08/2024, 08/12/2045

dustin360

#13: Post by dustin360 »

Beans coming out of the trier hole can be annoying, but it only happens to me on really big loads. But why are you not just throwing em back in? When one falls or flys out, I just throw it in the hopper and open the drop door. That way your weight loss reading wont be effed up.

dogjamboree (original poster)

#14: Post by dogjamboree (original poster) replying to dustin360 »

Never occurred to me I guess. Won't they be underdeveloped from being out of the drum ;) I agree, it's definitely more of a problem on bigger loads.

osanco

#15: Post by osanco »

dogjamboree wrote:Won't they be underdeveloped from being out of the drum
Unless you're channeling Mr. Bean, probably not enough volume to notice from either a development time or a weight basis.

On the plus side, you could claim this as a new cutting edge (5th or 6th wave?) roasting technique to enhance a previously unknown piquant delectability. :D

drgary
Team HB

#16: Post by drgary »

Like others with the North TJ-067 I've not had trouble dropping beans, and I do wish the tryer had more capacity. I'm glad that enough beans can be pulled for cupping with multiple pulls of the tryer, but in the meantime I'll be looking forward to Joel's attempts to enlarge his tryer capacity.
slickrock wrote:Both Gary and I worked with North to get longer tryers made, since there was ample clearance still available based on the numbers Tim gave us. Indeed, we did get the longer tryers (holds 9 grams), though they could have been made at least a cm longer and still cleared the fins/vanes. Also, the back side of the tryer cavity could be brought back nearly 2cm to bring it in alignment to the inside face of the faceplate. I have plans to move it back myself with an angle grinder, in hopes to bring the capacity up to about 12-13 grams.
Trying to convince the manufacturer through Tim to enlarge the tryer was a frustrating exercise in poor translation and misunderstanding. Perhaps Steve can have more success. I don't want to sound too negative, though. Now that I've got the TJ-067 working I'm very happy with my purchase.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!