Easy tamper holder for single dosing

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mfogliet

#1: Post by mfogliet »

Using a foam piece cut from my kids' play mat I solved the problem of tamper vibration causing noise and the potential for the tamper to walk off the grinder.

Two half circles are cut to fit around the opening and wide enough to overlap for the tamper to sit on top. Thin strips of folded over duct tape keep the foam in place.

No more metal on metal chatter while grinding with the tamper on to prevent lost beans from popcorning. No more worrying that the tamper will fall off because the foam adds frictional resistance.

The grey foam blends in well. After three months under daily use and nothing but satisfaction I am sharing this tip with others.

mgrobins

#2: Post by mgrobins »

Hi,

Nice idea :)

have you tried self adhesive neoprene or closed cell foam that is used for door seals. it's cheap and easily sourced at any hardware store.

It might be worth trying as a neater solution when you have worn this one out :). it would just need to be stretched a bit to make it curve.

canuckcoffeeguy

#3: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

mfogliet wrote:Using a foam piece cut from my kids' play mat I solved the problem of tamper vibration causing noise and the potential for the tamper to walk off the grinder.

Two half circles are cut to fit around the opening and wide enough to overlap for the tamper to sit on top. Thin strips of folded over duct tape keep the foam in place.

No more metal on metal chatter while grinding with the tamper on to prevent lost beans from popcorning. No more worrying that the tamper will fall off because the foam adds frictional resistance.
Nice idea mfogliet. How high is your K10PB without the hopper? I'm seriously thinking about one in my future, but only have 19 inches of clearance between my countertop and cupboard. So no standard hopper for me.

Also, I hear it's great for single dosing. How do you find it? I only single dose my Vario.

BTW, Nice shout out to Detour roasters. I live in Burlington, where their roastery is located, and buy their beans.

mfogliet (original poster)

#4: Post by mfogliet (original poster) »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:Nice idea mfogliet. How high is your K10PB without the hopper? I'm seriously thinking about one in my future, but only have 19 inches of clearance between my countertop and cupboard. So no standard hopper for me.
It stands less than 16" without the hopper.
canuckcoffeeguy wrote:Also, I hear it's great for single dosing. How do you find it? I only single dose my Vario.
It works for me. A few added seconds to my espresso routine for the bump and grind gives fantastic results in the cup and minimal waste.
canuckcoffeeguy wrote:BTW, Nice shout out to Detour roasters. I live in Burlington, where their roastery is located, and buy their beans.
It's their new logo 8)

canuckcoffeeguy

#5: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

How much retention do you experience?

cannonfodder
Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder »

You can also go to the hardware store and get a short piece of PVC that will sit in the throat then put your tamper on top. I have turned several 'plugs' before. Made one for someone out of bubinga, hollowed the middle out and filled it with lead shot then glued a base cap on it.
Dave Stephens