Ernst Schaefer's beautiful vintage espresso machine collection - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
zeb

#11: Post by zeb »

Pleasure if i can help !

You're missing a part on your machine, there is a rod behind in the machine, and on it was fixed the light tube.

Your p-stat is original I think, only the first models had a mercury bulb, I don't remember if I still have one for a picture, will have a look later if you want.

I know quite well the history of the brand because I had the chance one day to talk with the stepdaughter of its founder Carlo Ravinetti. But for the machines... We know the patent for the lever group was asked 1951, and granted 1953 (everybody knows why). So we can imagine BB was 1953, Meteor a few later, end 50's beginning 60's. Francis Ravinetti joined his father 1956 in the new "Société de vente des appareils Zenith Express". Patent for automatic groups is 1960, and from Francis himself. I already seen a two groups "Magic" with a "Machine à café Francis Ravinetti" badge, so I imagined that BB and first Meteor were before 1960-61, designed by Charles the father. And last Meteor, Magic and Automatic were after 1960-61 and designed by Francis the son, he was around 30 years it could be a good age to design a coffee machine.

For the lover of the brand I am, telling Zenith Express group is from Reneka is.... :cry: :lol: Of course not, Reneka never designed any group, first of them were from a manufacturer we didn't discovered yet. Also used on this Vassal machine. The last, you know it, were from Conti, as on the Reneka Major there.

Zenith Express lever groups were only from Zenith Express, designed by Charles Ravinetti :lol:

macgaggia

#12: Post by macgaggia »

pascal,
Je te prie de m'excuser si je t'ai blessé. i just did not know better. i learn every day.
you are right, i am missing this rod. there are holes with thread, maybe m8 or so but no rod. so i will build one and add a neon light there.
i think i will start to finish this meteor in october. then i will open a new thread. you have great knowledge and i will contact you through the forum and pm.
thanks again for sharing the pictures and your knowledge.
can you tell us more about the patent. why did it take 2 years. who fas fighting it. gaggia? faema?
ernst
LMWDP #059

zeb

#13: Post by zeb »

Ho no Ernst don't worry it was a joke of course ! Not easy for a poor lonesome little French boy to write first, in English. And more, with no more than 3 smilies, quite like if I had to speak without hands :lol:

We will talk again of Zenith Express when you'll open your dedicated thread ok ?!

Eastsideloco

#14: Post by Eastsideloco »

Beautiful machines. Thanks for the virtual tour. Hope to see them in person one day.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#15: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I'm going to resurrect this thread since Ernst has decided to sell his collection. Bay Area locals are quite fortunate. I spoke with him shortly before Christmas and he's mainly looking to sell stuff locally.

Here's his Craigslist post.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/atq/d/ ... 59003.html

I'm not involved in any way, so please direct any questions to him.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

yakster
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yakster »

Makes me sad that I just picked up the Aillio Bullet R1, otherwise I'd be tempted.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272