Learning curve from direct to spring lever espresso machine - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary »

70 is the new/old "what the heck"? Why not get a new one and enjoy it? You know you're not going to go wrong if you can afford to pay the freight and everything else!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

SJM (original poster)

#12: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Turns out there is no shipping and no tax...
I'm almost there.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by mgwolf »

I've owned a Cremina for 5+ years and, even after not using it for months, it's very difficult to pull a bad shot with it. Mine is about 25 years old.

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

Here you go, Susan. Buy yourself a Cremina, and get it delivered on time to attend this event as a demonstrator/learner. Tom Chips and Jim Schulman and John Weiss can help you dial it in. :shock:

CoffeeCon-San Francisco
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

TomC
Team HB

#15: Post by TomC »

mgwolf wrote:I've owned a Cremina for 5+ years and, even after not using it for months, it's very difficult to pull a bad shot with it. Mine is about 25 years old.

I think I have you beat :mrgreen: Mine's the 4th one made (most of it). I never use it, which is a shame, but on a quiet night, I can sit in the living room and hear it appreciate in value 8)

It still beats my Strega. I have to spend a fair bit of time/effort getting the Strega to pull at it's best for a given coffee. On the Cremina, it usually happens on the first pull.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

doubleOsoul

#16: Post by doubleOsoul »

bronsht wrote: I have a MCAL next to the Cremina but I no longer use it. The mouth feel of the Cremina is fuller.
Oh, I don't know if I want to hear that. I'm sitting on 3 MCALS right now and waiting on my Cremina. Might be a fire sale in the future. :lol:

yakster
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by yakster »

As I prefer curvacious, rounded levers, I'll have to keep my eyes out for the MCALs.

I started with a PID La Peppina to eliminate temp issues, then picked up a manual Gaggia Factory for more of a challenge. It wasn't much more challinging and opened up a world of thicker shots. Susan, you've already got experience with a pressurized boiler with the Export so I recommend going for a manual lever.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

bronsht

#18: Post by bronsht »

Cher,
I'm not getting rid of my MCAL. I would never sin like that. Now I just noticed that the pressure gauge no longer returns to zero. So I turned the machine on and tried to depressurize it by opening the steam wand. Then I ran a blank shot out of it (no coffee, just water). It still remains around 0.5 but it accelerates properly so I'm not going to worry about it.

SJM (original poster)

#19: Post by SJM (original poster) »

yakster wrote:As I prefer curvacious, rounded levers, I'll have to keep my eyes out for the MCALs.
Susan, you've already got experience with a pressurized boiler with the Export so I recommend going for a manual lever.
That's exactly what I am going to do!!!
I'm going for a Cremina.

Susan