Simple chaff cleaning for home roasters

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

This is likely the most insignificant tip and might seem silly, but I thought I'd share my happy accident anyways because it works so well.

I was playing around with this months Yemen coffee for the RLT and did a 3 coffee blend with it for espresso. I had about a kilo to mix up and I grabbed the first object within reach in my cupboard to stir the 3 coffees together. That happened to be a Rubbermaid juice pitcher. After stirring them with the end of a wooden spoon and realizing how ineffective that was, I just popped on the lid and started shaking. Now mind you, this is likely only going to help coffees that happen to still be clinging on to their chaff at the end of your desired roast.

I kill two birds with one stone, I get a quick even mix of my espresso components and polish up the beans, making them free of chaff.

My counter is messy here, if I had just dumped the coffee directly into the Rubbermaid jug and proceeded, it would be spotlessly clean. This was after a typical roasting session prior to grabbing the jug.

There was a lot more than this, I only stopped to grab a camera after opening the lid and starting to tap it out on the edge of the sink, hence the initial mess.

But I quickly realized the benefit of such a thing. The Rubbermaid pitcher along with the static created from the agitation of the freshly roasted beans glued every bit of chaff on the walls and lid of the container.

Normally, I get chaff everywhere and have to clean it up. Grinders, tamping stands, counters ext as can be seen here ( I only stopped to snap a few pics after tapping lids and making a bit of a mess) but with this little trick, I have no chaff mess scattered all over the kitchen.

I'll probably do this to any coffee that I finish roasting that might still have chaff on it. It's super quick and convenient, especially compared to the cleaning that it would otherwise require. I just shake the coffee for about 20 seconds and can rinse the whole thing out under the sink. My counters and coffee prep areas have been sparkling clean for the past few days, free of bits of chaff.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Bodka Coffee

#2: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Great tip. Make that static work for you if it's going to hang around anyway:-).

ciel-007

#3: Post by ciel-007 »

Tom, that's a cool discovery!
Since a few months, my wife has been helping with my roasting. At the end of the roast, she enjoys combing through the beans looking for "stones" and the occasional "bad" bean. One day, during this process, she decided to place the sifted beans into a plastic food container. When emptied, I was astonished to see all that chaff clinging to the walls under the spell of an invisible force. At first, I thought my wife had "bewitched" our kitchenware. Then, like you Tom, I discovered this near "magical" property of a simple polyethylene bowl. Cool!

Fern

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by FotonDrv »

Interesting tip and well worth a try. Thank you :)
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

Bob_M

#5: Post by Bob_M »

Thanks Tom. I'll try this next time I roast.