Damage from vacuum breaker sputter on Quickmill Andreja?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
polysicks

#1: Post by polysicks »

Hi!

I've just had the great pleasure of picking up a new (to me) Andreja Premium. I was told it's 8 years old? Last owner got fed up with the siren song of the low water alarm and used it as an excuse to upgrade to a Vetrano, selling the Andreja to me cheap.

I'm still rather pleased, I think I'll be come out ahead even if I need to buy a couple parts on selling my Silvia :)

As far as I can tell the floats in the water tank are the primary problem. I closed the circuit to take the magnetic sensors out of the problem and the alarm quieted, no problem with the heater or pump as far as I know, good flushing through group head, steam water, hot water arm.

Then I put the sensors back in the circuit and was able to quiet the alarms by holding a big magnet up to the sensors, still no problem with pump/heater.

What is more concerning to me is what looks like corrosion around the vacuum breaker valve (see pic) and on the adjacent valves. The "catch-cup" had completely corroded away on the bottom so it's useless to try to return. I removed the vacuum break and gave it a citric acid soak, applied some teflon tape, and put it back in place.

This led to an all around descale and much dirty scale water flushing out of the boiler.

Are replacement catch-can's available? I see Chris's Coffee carries a taller vacuum breaker (https://www.chriscoffee.com/Vacuum-Brea ... p/f814.htm) that tubing may be attached too? It looks like I could drain that directly to the drip tray if installed.

Is this a good replacement option? Is there any other damage that looks concerning? Would pictures of other spots, different angles help in assessing my state of affairs?

lsf

#2: Post by lsf »

I foresaw this problem on my Andreja and had my local shop to replace the valve for the one with the tube. Haven't had any problem since and that's an upgrade I definitely recommend.

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

That does not look bad at all. Go with the tube-style breaker and be done with it.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done