LIDO 2 vs Baratza Vario for Aeropress and Clever? - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
drgary
Team HB

#41: Post by drgary »

Good choice on the LIDO 2 as it would have been for the Hausgrind or Rosco.

Funny you should mention about a whirly blade. I compared one awhile ago to a LIDO 1 and wrote about it here:

Introducing Friends to Better Coffee
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

wacomme (original poster)

#42: Post by wacomme (original poster) replying to drgary »

Interesting. The question now is do I continue to buy 1/2 lb. pre-ground coffee, or do I use the blade whacker while I wait for my LIDO 2? The Hario is a nice suggestion, but I don't want to spend the money for a temporary situation.
Michael

drgary
Team HB

#43: Post by drgary »

Actually there is a nice, inexpensive alternative. The old box hand grinders can be much better than you'd expect. And they can be had for cheap. They're nice for displaying on a shelf and easily resold. Here's one I got from the Orphan Espresso close-out last year and it pairs so well with the Caravel I used it for an HB coffee review. Check these out on eBay. It's a crap shoot whether one will work for espresso but since you're not pushing that envelope you'll probably find them very satisfying. A whirly blade will turn any fine coffee into a murky brew where you can't distinguish the flavors. Pre-ground coffee is stale 15 minutes after grinding unless you live right next to where you'll buy it and can pop it airtight into the freezer. And then you won't get to sample many different coffees you can grind before brewing.

There's a great thread on them too.

Hand (grinder) Jive - a photo essay

The folks at Orphan Espresso learned how to design grinders because at one time they would collect these old hand grinders, restore and re-sell them. Then they moved on to all manner of vintage levers, and then the Pharos and their other custom grinders.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#44: Post by wacomme (original poster) »

Here's an update of my progress:

I bought the Lido 2, but it won't be delivered until September.

Last week I was online and saw that the OE Pharos was posted online for sale. I bought one. My thinking was that I can use the Pharos until the Lido 2 arrives, and then sell the Pharos. It's still my probable plan, as I hear the Lido 2 makes better grinds for CCD and Aeropress. However, after a little adjusting (2 full turns from zero) I'm very much enjoying my CCD cups of coffee (so much better than pre-ground).

But now I'm thinking . . . with the Pharos, perhaps espresso is in my future. I'm looking at portable espresso makers that I can use in my office. Home use is out of the question. My wife is quite content (albeit ignorant) with pre-ground coffee through the CCD; she doesn't even know about the Pharos. With the return of the Preciso, coffee grinding won't happen at home anytime soon.

What happened to the MyPressi Twist V2? Are they out of business? I see a few on eBay. Is it a good machine? Worth it for an office espresso machine I can hide away in a drawer? The Rosco machine looks awesome, but it's too pricey. The Handpresso looks sub-par. If I head down the espresso pathway at work, I need something quick and easy, and something I can hide away in a drawer. Is there anything like that out there that makes good espresso? If not, the Pharos will likely be posted for sale in a month or two. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the brew from it's grind.
Michael

OldNuc

#45: Post by OldNuc »

The MyPressi works fine once you get it figured out.

#46: Post by wacomme (original poster) replying to OldNuc »

Thanks. It seems that they are now out of business. Is the device durable? Most likely I won't be able to get it serviced if it breaks.
Michael

#47: Post by wacomme (original poster) »

Anyone else with feedback about the MyPressi Twist v2? Thanks.
Michael

beer&mathematics

#48: Post by beer&mathematics »

The MyPressi looks great for the price, but I don't like how you have to use those cartridges.

The Portapresso products look awesome. The quality and aesthetics are second to none, the device is quite revolutionary, and best of all makes amazing espresso. Paired with a Pharos, you can make top-quality espresso anywhere in the world provided you can boil water. Yah, you can tell I really want to buy one for myself!
LMWDP #431

OldNuc

#49: Post by OldNuc »

wacomme wrote:Thanks. It seems that they are now out of business. Is the device durable? Most likely I won't be able to get it serviced if it breaks.
I don't think they are out of business, just short production runs. I have a V1 that I upgraded the water bowl to V2. The handle still has the V1 valve. The newer V2 valve is not as finicky about cartridges and leakage as the V1 was. I have several sets of seals and both a V1 and V2 top bowl. As long as you use the unit regularly the V1 valve does not seem to be an issue, at least it was not for me.