Nuova Simonelli Musica HX type

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
stevenh

#1: Post by stevenh »

Hi, I have a Musica and I'm trying to work out the type of HX this is according to Dan's classification of 'Dragon', 'Mixer' or 'Agnostic'... then work out how much I need to flush and whether to lock and load immediately...
I've read conflicting info for this machine with some people saying don't need to flush unless been sitting for more than 20mins while others say always flush before pulling shot...
Thanks

Steven

bongani

#2: Post by bongani »

The Musica is heavily based on its Oscar stablemate. I would there jump to the assumption that the Oscar routine would mirror that of the Musica.

stevenh (original poster)

#3: Post by stevenh (original poster) »

Can you tell me what the Oscar routine is? I've seen various suggestions for the Oscar as well...
The Musica I assumed would be a bit different due to restrictors in the thermosyphon loop?

oofnik

#4: Post by oofnik »

I installed the Musica restrictors in my Oscar group, and once the machine has stabilized after coming up to temp (~30 minutes) I only flush for about 3-5 seconds to get to where it needs to be to pull a shot.

#5: Post by stevenh (original poster) »

Thanks oofnik, so do you flush before every shot?

oofnik

#6: Post by oofnik »

If I'm pulling successive shots, I'll blip the pump just to clean the shower screen. But if the machine sits idle for more than 5 minutes then yes I will flush briefly just to clear the steam. Of course, I primarily grind by hand, so successive shots are rare!

I think one develops a feel for these things based on taste given enough time. Every machine has its 'character'; what you will learn from the forums should only be used as a rough guide.

#7: Post by stevenh (original poster) »

Thanks I'll have a play around :)