HG One grind settings - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bmb

#11: Post by bmb »

After quite considerable time trying to get to there, and when I thought I had a new solution, I recently came by Jim Schulman's didactically written presentation: "Value substracted espresso, CoffeeCon 2012" that basically contained most of my "discoveries", and quite more ...

What I did was to find out the taste "sweet spot" combination between the Strega and the HG-One, adjusting doses as required by different filters and beans, and this sweet spot (or may be better: short interval) proved the best for most occasions.

For a double, it normally requires to begin with 15gr (depending on bean, with my finest filter and going up to 21 for my espresso parts triple. Mostly dosing from 15,5 to 16,5gr.

For a single I get really good and easy results with a single LM filter, using a very convenient set of tricher and 41mm tamper, that looks just the one from a Tidaka, it can be done only with a tamper but it' much quicker, and foolproof, with the set. I also use the other singles, when overdosing, with a convex 56mm tamper.

The grind is a little finer and, for not to having to readjust the HG-One, I use the Pharos for this. With the LM filter I can go from 7 to 8,5gr, and normally use it at about 8,3

In this way I get really good ristretti and singles and use mainly the double filters when the beans require a coarser grind or higher dose and for our daily breakfasts and cappu drinks.

Actually the method is quite simple, sorry if If couldn't explain it in a clearer way ... however I believe that with Jim's presentation you may get a pretty good idea.

angman

#12: Post by angman »

DanoM wrote:My guess is that you will also need more adjustments on a regular basis as your burrs get broken in. I'm assuming you haven't put 100 pounds of beans through the HG-One yet anyway.

Grinding science, fines, particle distribution... Too many things to master here. :)

This might be the reasoning as I don't pull enough shots on a regular basis. Hard to hit 100 lbs when you grind for 1-2 cups a day.

As for the Mazzer Major. Did I say that the adjustment collar sucked? I actually liked the weight and precision of it. I just complained that I found it necessary to adjust grind size very regularly. It could be that my beans stale quickly but then again I use the same beans with the HG One.