Custom La Marzocco GS3 side panels and how to protect them from heat

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ryanjg11

#1: Post by ryanjg11 »

I'm having some custom wood side panels made for my GS/3, and I know certain purveyors (like Clive Coffee) advertise their panels come with "fiberglass insulation" on the inside, to protect from heat damage.

Is this some sort of super-secret engineered coating, or a standard fiberglass insulating sheet I can purchase at my local hardware store?

Specific to the GS/3, each factory side panel is actually two pieces: a sheet-metal insert, and the outer plastic cover. If I am replacing the outer cover with a custom wood piece, is it still necessary to use the inner sheet-metal insert? Does the insert provide any heat protection? (See picture below for depiction of insert.)

rbh1515

#2: Post by rbh1515 »

Not sure about the custom wood panels...I had glass ones made, and there is no protection needed.

I would think that wood could discolor over time with the heat, especially depending on the type of wood and the finish you put on it. I don't think the metal inserts would really help much since metal really conducts heat well. Why not have some glass ones made?

Rob