Roasters Guild Retreat

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Jasonmck

#1: Post by Jasonmck »

Anyone going?
I'm debating to go or not. it's a lot of $$

farmroast

#2: Post by farmroast »

I went last year. It seemed really good for someone just starting and trying to get an overall sense. And just nice to be able to meet and get to know other roasters, do some networking. The classes are not very advanced or challenging. You also break into roasting teams and I think this year it's about creating a cold brew. I had mixed feelings about the team roasting part. You get some planned time to do part of it but have to make time if the team decides to do a better job of it. This takes from networking time, sleep time or eating time.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

Jasonmck (original poster)

#3: Post by Jasonmck (original poster) »

Thanks Ed.

JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JavaMD »

I took roasting classes at the SCAA event in Seattle this year (intro to roasting practices, profile roasting, sample roasting). I learned a bit, mostly how much I like my Santoker Rev 500 compared to anything I roasted on, but did meet some cool folks and did get some "prerequisites" under my belt.
The two classes I would dearly love to take are the "application of heat" class and the "organic Chemistry of roasting class". I'm sure I didn't get the names of the classes right but whenever I asked questions, the answer would be to take one of those classes ... Hoping to do so at the SCAA in Seattle next year if they are offered and you can't take them till you get the prerequisites out of the way. I would probably go to the guild this year as it is close to home .. but my best friends son is getting married that weekend.

Steve