Coffees that are great as espresso or drip

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Bossman

#1: Post by Bossman »

Well after trying for weeks to sell my espresso setup and having a few buyers back out, I changed my mind. When I do use it I love it so I am going to hang onto it. Anyway, I will be doing drip most of the time but I would like to buy beans that work well for both. I am not using the espresso setup very often so I don't want to buy beans just for that, at least not until winter comes and I start using it more.

So far the Redbird is great for drip as well as espresso, but the Redline I didn't care for as drip. Those are the only two I have tried both ways.

Anybody have other recommendations for beans that they enjoy both ways?

beer&mathematics

#2: Post by beer&mathematics »

Can you tell us a bit about what tastes you like?

If you liked Redbird for espresso and drip then maybe you should stick to darker roasts (beginning with medium). You should give the Linea coffees a try (both espresso and any SO they offer).
LMWDP #431

Bossman (original poster)

#3: Post by Bossman (original poster) »

For drip coffee I like pretty much anything that is strong. For espresso I lean toward the nutty and chocolate rather than bright.

I have little mason jars that hold about 3oz of beans. I think I might just have to buy some different kinds and see what I like and put the espresso in the 3oz jars and seal and freeze them so I only need a little at a time.

beer&mathematics

#4: Post by beer&mathematics »

Definitely give Linea a try. Also, give Bodka a try as well. Bodka is great since you can order 4oz samplers, then buy more of what you like.
LMWDP #431

Bossman (original poster)

#5: Post by Bossman (original poster) »

Thanks, just bought 4 different kinds from Bodka.

beer&mathematics

#6: Post by beer&mathematics replying to Bossman »

Sweet--David (roaster) is great. Also, on the website it says "If you buy our coffee and you'd like it roasted differently the next time you order, just tell us!" so you can't go wrong. Let us know what you think. Cheers
LMWDP #431

cimarronEric
Sponsor

#7: Post by cimarronEric »

I'll do a little shameless self-promotion here and say that my Espresso Blend is the most popular bean I sell (mostly for drip coffee) and it's great for espresso as it's what we serve every day. It's just smooooth for both. http://cimarronroasters.salesvu.com/det ... gory_id=32
Cimarron Coffee Roasters
www.cimarronroasters.com

five and dime

#8: Post by five and dime »

Has anyone tried Retrofit from Blue Bottle? I had it on Chemex and it really surprised me how good it was. I might say I liked it better than as espresso.
Lane Brookshire