For those who upgraded from a Quest M3... - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
SAS
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by SAS »

Today I actually controlled my SF-1 during the roast and it reacted like I wanted it to.
I took away the BT curve so you can focus on how a gas heated roaster responds quickly to changes the roaster makes during a roast.

I only changed the gas pressure three times during the roast.
Drying - Gas @ 5; Ramp - Gas @ 7.5; Developement - Gas @ 4 at first, then changed to 5 when I didn't like the negative slope 20 seconds after FCs. Things went fine after that adjustment. That wouldn't have happened on the Quest.

You can see the roaster's ET responding in about 10 seconds at DE and right away at FCs. The beans reacted with the change in ET in about 20 seconds. With the Quest, I was increasing current about a minute to one and a half minutes before DE to get the Ramp phase moving faster. In backing off, the Quest is also slower. It requires more experience with each bean rather than observing the ROR in real time because you have to "pre-adjust" to get you where you want the roast to be at a future point in time. Challenging but part of the skill set you build with the Quest.
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

kwantfm (original poster)

#12: Post by kwantfm (original poster) »

Very useful thank you.
LMWDP #602