Bunnzilla Ditting, Baratza Forte or Vario with steel, or keep Breville Smart - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ira
Team HB

#31: Post by ira »

I find that using the cleaning lever is absolutely necessary. It seems to be there to prevent grinds from blowing out. At first I tried grinding while holding it up and that turns out to be a mistake as grinds fly a bit to much. It catches a few grams of coffee, maybe 2 or 3 and they come out as soon as I lift the lever. I think "cleaning lever" sounds good, but I don't think that's actually it's function. I think the screw and burrs pump a fair amount of air through the grinder and would blow the grinds around if that chute blocker wasn't there. There seems to be no static issues at all and opening it up whether after 1 week or 2 months seems to show the same gram or 2 of coffee caught on a couple of ledges.

Ira

jpmoore4

#32: Post by jpmoore4 »

JohnB. wrote:I see little to no retention. I did modify the exit casting to obtain smoother flow when I built the Zilla. I do use the shaker each time I grind beans & I find that it helps.
Do you use the grinds expelled by the shaker, or simply pitch them? I apologize for all the questions, I'm sort of a newbie at this grinding stuff.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by JohnB. »

I use the shaker while grinding my dose so those grinds definitely get used. :D Most mornings I'll run the grinder while empty & give the shaker a few clanks to clear any old grinds but very little comes out. Those grinds get swept into the grounds tray & vacuumed out once a week when I clean the grinder.
LMWDP 267

jpmoore4

#34: Post by jpmoore4 »

So that's where the grinds have been going. :P

I wasn't counting the grinds released by the lever in my weight tally.

I've got another question about the Bunnzilla mod:

Is there a better way to calibrate the grind size other than to wait until you hear a 'whining' sound (as Bunn calls it) due to the burrs grinding against each other? It seems like burr-on-burr grinding should be avoided at all costs. Are the burrs designed for this, and is there a better way?

ira
Team HB

#35: Post by ira »

The burrs are designed for this. Not to run that way , but to check adjustment.

ira