Is soap & water as good as commercial espresso cleaners? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
GVDub
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by GVDub »

I shy away from soap on coffee gear, as it doesn't rinse as clean, and any soap left behind with break down coffee oils. Since espresso is partially an oil/water emulsion, anything that can break down oils makes for worse espresso. Cafiza, et al, rinse off much more completely.
"Experience is a comb nature gives us after we are bald."
Chinese Proverb
LMWDP#238

DavidMLewis

#12: Post by DavidMLewis »

As others have said, one of the commercial cleaners (I happen to favor Joe Glo because it foams less and is therefore more versatile, but it's a matter of taste) is going to be most effective. In addition to something like TSP, they also usually contain a fairly high proportion of enzymes. Most of them are essentially pumped-up versions of automatic dishwasher powder, more or less.

For daily cleaning, I tended to put a half-teaspoon or so of baking soda into a blind filter and do a quick rinse. It rinses cleanly and keeps rancid oils from building up between the weekly cleanings.

Best,
David

Advertisement
cmin

#13: Post by cmin »

I just stick to Cafiza and Dezcal, I used vinegar once and it worked but took a ton of flushes and fresh water to clear out the smell/taste of vinegar.