What size torx screwdriver for Breville Dual Boiler?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
stanfordcoffee

#1: Post by stanfordcoffee »

Hi BDB owners,

Can you tell me what size torx screwdriver is required to remove the back plate of the machine? I need to adjust the OPV.

Thanks!

-S

NightFlight

#2: Post by NightFlight »

The torx bit size is a T20. The OPV for a vibe pump should be set at 10 - 10.5 bar. Adjust your grind by taste so that the pressure is around the 9 bar mark.

stanfordcoffee (original poster)

#3: Post by stanfordcoffee (original poster) replying to NightFlight »

Thanks. I have one of the early 900 models, for which the opv setting is a known issue. If I grind for 9 bars it runs way too fast, while the good tasting shots extract at around 11 bar. If I grind way too fine and choke it, it runs at about 13.

cmin

#4: Post by cmin »

You don't want to adjust grind on the 900 to fix OPV issue, some of the early ones had it incorrectly set well over 10. My friends was, he adjusted it down. Here's an link showing what to do:

http://nic.steve-tek.com/?page_id=180

stanfordcoffee (original poster)

#5: Post by stanfordcoffee (original poster) »

Just to wrap this up with a few things I learned:

1) Due to a packaging screw-up in my torx set, I was sent two T15 bits, one of which should have been a T20. The T15 did a totally okay job, so no need to buy a T20 bit if you already have a T15.

2) Lifting the top cover up enough to remove the rear panel is quite difficult. I was able to lever it up enough to get the panel off, but I'm sure I'd accidentally crack the top panel if I did this multiple times. Anyone experience something similar / know how to fix it?

3) If, like me, you drop the plastic cap covering the OPV and it falls straight down, the 4 screws, one on each corner of the plastic electronics box, can be removed. Removing the electronics is preferably to fishing around to get it out, since there are lots of wires around that would be easy to break.

4) Before the fix, I was consistently hitting 11 bars on my espresso extractions. One full counter-clockwise turn took it down to 9.5 bars. I'll leave it there rather than further fiddling, but if I could do it again, I'd give it another 120 degrees.

5) It's a pretty easy fix!

sqroot3

#6: Post by sqroot3 »

stanfordcoffee wrote:1) Due to a packaging screw-up in my torx set, I was sent two T15 bits, one of which should have been a T20. The T15 did a totally okay job, so no need to buy a T20 bit if you already have a T15.

2) Lifting the top cover up enough to remove the rear panel is quite difficult. I was able to lever it up enough to get the panel off, but I'm sure I'd accidentally crack the top panel if I did this multiple times. Anyone experience something similar / know how to fix it?
re 1) i can't remember what size torx screwdriver i ended up using for this because I bought a set...torx are incredibly easy to strip, what with the star-shaped design and all. so be careful the next time you have to go back in! haha.

re 2) totally agree...so I ended up taking off the entire top cover/cup warmer by unscrewing the front screws with a long flathead screwdriver!