Roast color seems to develop very early. What could cause this?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Contrabass_Bry

#1: Post by Contrabass_Bry »

Split off of discussion Ethiopia DP Gr. 1 Yirga Cheffe Aricha-Current crop at Sweet Maria's)

Laron,

You bring up a point that has been rather confusing to me, as well.
Color on all my roast seems to develop very early. By the time 1C starts, it already looks like a C+ level.

Anyone have any ideas what would cause this phenomenon? All other guideposts seem to be in order and I really use a minimum of burner. Color development in the cross-section of the bean is even, which would appear to disproved any early external over-development. But I'm quite new to all this and am willing to learn how to improve my roasting knowledge.

At any rate, took a sniff from the bag this morning and I'm getting excited! Did you ever post your impressions of those 3 roast?

...split from Ethiopia DP Gr. 1 Yirga Cheffe Aricha-Current crop at Sweet Maria's by moderator...

IMAWriter

#2: Post by IMAWriter »

I recently had an experience with a coffee I purchased that was city+ on the outside, but not quite so on the inside.
I can't help but think that the drop temp was too high at the beginning of the roast. My best home roasts are when I don't see chaff for a good long while.

LDT

#3: Post by LDT »

Bryan, Regarding the photo, was that from the first batch or the second?

Contrabass_Bry (original poster)

#4: Post by Contrabass_Bry (original poster) »

Rob,

You make a good point, as well. But I don't feel my charge temps are particularly extreme. Between 300-350F.

Sure, it stands to reason that if you progress very quickly through the whole process, you will end up with a disparity between the exterior/interior. I actually make a habit of slicing beans to check how evenly developed the roasts end and this was no exception. Same color all the way through. Likely due to my +13min roast.

Laron,

It was from the first. With on 3-4 degrees difference in drop temp, they are extremely close in external color:

Left: Roast 2 (shorter overall roast, steeper ramp) Right: Roast 1 (longer roast, slightly lower drop temp)

It's not killing me, but I would love to work to be able to understand the process better.