Gaggia Factory 106

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
BarryS

#1: Post by BarryS »

Just came across a Gaggia Factory 106 for sale. Looks clean, price seems reasonable (I think). Question is regarding build quality, and shot quality. How does this machine stand up against the La Pavoni? It is selling for 1/2 the asking price, and appears to be clean (see attached pix)

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

It's a clone of the La Pavoni Pro Millennium with some stylish elements added.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
BarryS (original poster)

#3: Post by BarryS (original poster) »

How much would you expect to pay for such a machine? Is it as good as the La Pavoni?

russel

#4: Post by russel »

It is a La Pavoni, basically a chromed Romantica with a pointy hat and Gaggia badge. I've owned two 106s and a 105. I think all of the ones that I owned had the early Millenium nylon piston head, which can become loose and then have its threading stripped, possible resulting in a blowout. Not every nylon piston has this issue, and a replacement brass piston head is around $50. If you're good with the hat then I think you're good to go.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

homeburrero
Team HB

#5: Post by homeburrero »

russel wrote:It is a La Pavoni, basically a chromed Romantica with a pointy hat and Gaggia badge.
That sums it up nicely. When these were last widely available as new machines I think they sold at a slightly lower price than a chrome LP pro, then there was a brief period when WLL was discontinuing them and unloading them at a steal, around $400 USD.

Used G106 machines in good shape might go for between $300 and $550 USD. The low price would be for a machine on eBay with some uncertainty about actual condition and whether it will be packed well enough to survive damage in shipping. On the Buy/Sell forums here and on CoffeeGeek, I think a good G106 would be up in the $500 neighborhood. Worth it, IMHO, because the sellers on these forums completely and honestly describe their machines, and understand the importance of packaging them properly. A reconditioned machine from a reputable vendor in fine condition could easily bring $600. Francesco Ceccarelli has one on sale now for 380 Euro ($~$520 USD.)

As for parts interchangeability / availability -
- The element, base, and everything under the base is the same as the Pavoni (Millennium) machines.
- Group, piston, gaskets, lever assembly, Portafilter, - also same as Pavoni millennium.
- Boiler is like the Pavoni Grand Romantica.
- Boiler cap is same as the Pavoni Romanticas.
- Boiler top (tin man hat) is unique.
- Sight glass and fittings are same as Pavoni.
- Steam wand knob is like the Romantica in shape, but will interchange with any of the later Pavoni knobs.
- Steam wand valve shaft is same as Pavoni.
- Steam wand body is like the older (up til late 90's) Pavonis - takes a compression fitting wand.
- Steam wand is the older compression fitting style, and has a unique bend shape.
- Steam wand tip same as the Pavoni.

I once saw that tin man hat for sale as a part, but it was extremely expensive. May now be unobtainable. If you have a damaged steam valve, the shaft is readily available, but you may have trouble finding a replacement body if the valve orifice is bad. I think if necessary you could replace the whole thing with the new bayonet style. (If the machine does not drip from the steam wand when it's up to pressure, your steam valve is in good shape.)

It probably will come with a plastic piston (as do the Pavoni machines from that period) which will eventually need to be replaced, and may need to be tightened up on the piston rod (they tend to come unscrewed.)

It may or may not have an anti-vacuum valve built into the pressure safety valve (which is inside the boiler cap.) If it doesn't, you'll just need remember to bleed off a little pressure at the steam wand when you first heat it up.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by uscfroadie »

homeburrero wrote:That sums it up nicely. When these were last widely available as new machines I think they sold at a slightly lower price than a chrome LP pro, then there was a brief period when WLL was discontinuing them and unloading them at a steal, around $400 USD.
That's where I got my first one back in 2008, maybe early 2009. $400 was an absolute steal for this machine and what kicked off my love for levers.

Barry - You'll need a suitable grinder to pair with it. Your equipment profile currently does not list one, so factor a new one into your purchase.
Merle

oofnik

#7: Post by oofnik »

I bought a G105 back in 2007 for unreasonably cheap on CL. I used it daily for a couple years with no problems whatsoever. Pulled an excellent shot. I'd definitely recommend it.

I'm not in the market, so I wouldn't be a fair judge of price. :) Hope you take it home though!