Gaggia ABC 1985 Brass is Deal or Dud?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
SlowGrind

#1: Post by SlowGrind »

Hi,

I have a beautiful Gaggia ABC espresso machine and I have zero experience with maintenance on any espresso machine but am willing to learn. Based on the pictures I've attached to this post how much money is likely needed to bring this machine back to its glory AND is the machine worth of restoration or not?

Are the mechanics of this machine to complicated and not worth the trouble?

It has a gas line, why? For a propane tank?

I'm concerned if I drop it off at a shop they might rip off parts should I be worried about anything specifically?

jonny

#2: Post by jonny »

Gas line is for a propane or natural gas burner which heats the boiler. I wouldn't be worried about a service person ripping off any parts... I mean as long as they are legit and known to do respectable work, right? Let's see what you got. Most likely it just needs a deep cleaning and maybe a few inexpensive parts replaced. Anything is possible!

jonny

#3: Post by jonny »

Now that I see the photos, it's pretty grungy! I have no idea how much it would cost, but I wouldn't want to spend more than $1000 on the thing, including initial purchase. Even then, it's not a very valuable or interesting machine. $1000 could get you a nice starter home machine that would take a lot less work and a lot less electricity/gas to run. If you are set on looking further into it, get in touch with Gaggia or ABC (it may even be built by a different company and rebadged) and find out who they recommend in your area for technical service. Good luck!

Alan Frew

#4: Post by Alan Frew »

Save your money. Unless you have (at minimum) a 220v 20A power outlet the machine isn't going to work. It's worth about $200.00, mostly as scrap or for parts. Gaggia Espanola has been defunct for quite a while.

Alan