Differences in coffee blends - pourover vs. espresso - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Eastsideloco

#31: Post by Eastsideloco »

another_jim wrote:How many people here have been made to feel like idiots at a third wave cafe? Anyone?
Some times people go into a small third-wave cafe wanting something that simply isn't on the menu. In our case, it is usually decaf, which my wife has to drink due to a medical condition (presumably harmless, but better safe than sorry). In other cases, a third wave cafe may not offer milk to add to brewed coffee, or it may not offer 24 ounce lattes or Hazelnut syrup. Whatever it is, there are perfectly good reasons that third wave cafes don't try to be all things to all people. But that rationale isn't going to be easy to communicate to an upset customer, especially when there is a line out the door. While some people may walk away feeling stupid or insulted, this says more about the customer than the venue, as you suggest.

Other that these "we just don't have what you want" moments, which are unfortunate for all involved, my experience is that the quality of service at the average third wave cafe is above average-as compared to that at other types of establishments, like restaurants, bars or production cafes-and often exceptional. For the most part, these are talented, highly trained people who enjoy what they are doing, which is not necessarily par for the course in the service industry.

another_jim
Team HB

#32: Post by another_jim »

Eastsideloco wrote:Some times people go into a small third-wave cafe wanting something that simply isn't on the menu ...
This is an excellent point. Newcomers to any cafe will naturally expect all the products one can get at a Starbucks. If I wait in line for, say, a smoothie, for ten minutes, and the cafe doesn't do it, and I'm stressed out; the resulting interaction isn't going to be very smooth.

Not sure what can be done about it.
Jim Schulman