Brew pressure too low, espresso pouring too fast - feeling helpless - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
jfrescki

#11: Post by jfrescki »

Tom, do you hear the motor labor just like in the calibration video at the same setting? If not, I wonder if you need to do the "old school" calibration shown in this thread. Caveat, I don't know if this is recommended or possible on the latest grinders, but if so, it could be your problem.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

hnnsnrt (original poster)

#12: Post by hnnsnrt (original poster) »

Yes, when the micro lever is about halfway up I hear the motor labor, there's a clear change in pitch.

Advertisement

#13: Post by hnnsnrt (original poster) »

I might be misinterpreting the "espresso calibration point" on the Vario, but when the motor starts to labor on a certain point, is it bad to go beyond that point to grind even finer or is it just a starting point from where you can go either direction?

jfrescki

#14: Post by jfrescki »

You probably can't really hurt the burrs, but the "espresso calibration point" in the videos isn't where you would actually grind for espresso. This is the point where when burr touch occurs, the grinder should be set up for espresso grinding. You would typically grind one macro notch coarser for your shot once the vario is "calibrated" per the video.

John
- Will Rogers

#15: Post by hnnsnrt (original poster) »

Hmm, there's no way I can pull a 25 sec shot on a setting that's 1 macro notch coarser.. When using the calibration point I already get the regular volume in 20 sec.. No idea what I'm missing or doing wrong :(

jfrescki

#16: Post by jfrescki »

Maybe you can post a video for us. At this point my only guess is there may be something up with the Vario. I would call Baratza, they're very responsive. I have a 53mm basket, so I can't speak from first hand experience, but I know people routinely put 18g and more in the stock double 58mm without issue, so the fact that you said you see an impression at 15g leads me to believe the coffee is just too course.
- Will Rogers

#17: Post by hnnsnrt (original poster) »

I just tried a shot with 18g and it was a slow pour and way too bitter, which would make sense since I'm grinding close to the finest range the Vario can manage. So maybe I do need to higher the dose. I'm only getting an impression after pulling the shot, could that just be due to the coffee expanding and not necessarily because the dose is too high?

Advertisement
jfrescki

#18: Post by jfrescki »

It's OK to have an impression after your shot because the coffee expands. As long as it doesn't cause channeling or cracks the puck you should be OK.
- Will Rogers