Home Water Filtration System Recommendations.

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Ltrain5000

#1: Post by Ltrain5000 »

I've been sourcing water for some time now and using it in the reservoir of my espresso machines. Does anyone have a recommendation on home RO systems that put back mineral to a specified range?

Ltrain5000 (original poster)

#2: Post by Ltrain5000 (original poster) »

Does anyone here have a home RO system?

weebit_nutty

#3: Post by weebit_nutty »

Watts Premiere RO Pure.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

TLD222

#4: Post by TLD222 »

We purchased the Tap Master Artesian Full Contact RO system from theperfectwater.com about four months ago and really like it:

http://www.theperfectwater.com/Tap-Mast ... ystem.html

This was the article that turned me onto it:

http://thejuicyweasels.com/2013/02/24/a ... our-water/

Granted, it's pricey. Leading up to the purchase, a good friend recommended his RO system to me, but confessed that the yearly filter changes were such a hassle with having to sterilize everything, the filter housings, wear gloves, squeeze into tight quarters under the sink, etc. that he just hires a guy to come in and do it for him every year. Since I don't like hiring guys, I saw the tap master as a good system that I could maintain myself with little hassle--the entire system of filters, housings, and re-min cartridge is disposable and replaceable for 80 bucks a year. I also got the permeate pump to cut down on the waste water inherent to RO systems. I hate wasting ANYTHING!

Now that we've been using it for a few months, Pros: water tastes good, the pressure out of the sink spigot is really strong (they've got a video showing it in action) and stays strong for about 2 quarts before it starts tapering off, looks easy to replace all the filters (guess we'll find out in a year) Cons: the knocking noise when it's doing it's thing is really annoying to my wife (and a little bit to me), initial cost is relatively expensive

I can't vouch for espresso made with the water yet (my new machine's arriving in three days!) but drip and press coffee, tea--it's all good.

I'm planning on getting a titration hardness tester to see how much is actually being re-mineralized. I'm also going to re-mount the components to the cabinetry using some rubber washers and buy several thick bath towels to try and subdue the noise. I don't think the noise is unique to this particular system, though. When I was at my friends', his sounded like a toilet refilling the tank and stayed running for a long time (25-30 mins). The knocking only lasts about 10 mins. If you're used to buying your water commercially, I've gotta' think the system would pay for itself in less than a year, even given it's high initial cost.

That's all I got. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.