Bodka Coffee - Guatemalan-Huehuetenango

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
DanoM

#1: Post by DanoM »

Thanks to Bodka Coffee for the recent drawing for the new 2014 Guatemalan-Huehuetenango beans. I've had the 2013 beans as well as their 2013 Guatemalan S.O. special beans. All of David's Guatemalan beans have been really nice in cappuccino and latte milk drinks.

I'm not versed in the flavor wheel nor tasting notes... I'm also pulling these shots on my new Bezzera Strega. Grinder is my Kludge grinder with 68mm conical burrs driven by cordless drill. 13g doses into a single basket.

First thing I noticed on these beans was the nutty smell. In the 2013 bags I had the nut was clearly a very strong peanut that would pull some nice hazelnut notes. The 2014 sample bag had far less peanut on the nose, but in the cup there are still those lovely hazelnut notes. Some chocolate notes. Rich and deep. Beautiful little tingle on the tongue that I look for in my cappuccinos. Excellent for milk drinks and holds flavor even in a latte quite well for the 13g dose size.

I had the coffee with a lightly steamed milk and a little syrup for a nice afternoon treat. Rich, creamy espresso when pulled at full pressure that favors milk nicely. Very good bean to have in my normal rotation.

I generally find that Guatemalan beans remind me of the classic espresso taste, whatever that is... :? Really that's a compliment though. I like Guatemalan beans, and these beans are done right.

Another great coffee from Bodka!

(Not to distract from the Guatemalan-Huehuetenango, but if you are ordering from Bodka don't miss the opportunity for the Guatemalan-"Special Edition" SO Espresso if it's available. This bean can be pulled for bitter chocolate, cinnamon, spicy, and all around great notes in the cup.)
LMWDP #445

IMAWriter

#2: Post by IMAWriter »

DanoM wrote:Thanks to Bodka Coffee for the recent drawing for the new 2014 Guatemalan-Huehuetenango beans. I've had the 2013 beans as well as their 2013 Guatemalan S.O. special beans. All of David's Guatemalan beans have been really nice in cappuccino and latte milk drinks.

Another great coffee from Bodka!

(Not to distract from the Guatemalan-Huehuetenango, but if you are ordering from Bodka don't miss the opportunity for the Guatemalan-"Special Edition" SO Espresso if it's available. This bean can be pulled for bitter chocolate, cinnamon, spicy, and all around great notes in the cup.)
+1.