Lowish budget for espresso machine/grinder. Getting too frustrated. - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
nwin2

#41: Post by nwin2 »

lestro wrote:Also got the setup for the price of CC1 alone (hmm, with shipping and tax!) :twisted:

How?

lestro (original poster)

#42: Post by lestro (original poster) »

Bought it used, in a great condition :)

RickG

#43: Post by RickG »

I'm starting down the same entry level espresso path as the OP. Can you give us newbies an update on how this setup has worked out? Is the learning curve steep? How long did it take you to dial in the setup and produce consistently good results?

Is the setup reliable? I am considering a used Crossland CC1.5 + Baratza Vario, but I can also get a used Rancilio Silvia V3 with an Auber PID + Baratza Vario for a similar price (maybe $50-$100 more). The Auber PID is the version that controls brew temp, steam temp, time, and pre-infusion. Given the similar price points, I am leaning towards the Silvia; I am concerned that the Crossland will not be as reliable as the Silvia down the road. Also, if I choose to upgrade 3 to 5 years from now. The Silvia's commercial components just seem better built. But which setup will produce the best results in the cup?

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#44: Post by EspressoForge »

If you're on a very small or tight budget, keep your eye out for a used machine and grinder. It may take time, but it's much better than being frustrated. If it was me, although a Silvia can be made to work, I would prefer a small lever instead as a starter machine.

Alternative to that, think about just skipping espresso and making tasty brew coffee until you can get a budget together for a nice espresso grinder and machine. I know why people love espresso, but a really low budget will just get you frustrated and likely end up being a waste of money in the end.

RickG

#45: Post by RickG »

Well I am leaning towards a Rancilio Silvia V3 or Crossland CC1.5 paired with the Baratza Vario. The generally positive member comments on this board and others steered me towards these entry-level options. I do plan to buy used or refurbished equipment. Do yo think these machines will lead to the frustration and discouragement you mentioned?

What lever machines do you recommend? I was looking at semi-automatics because I would like the option to make milk based drinks.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#46: Post by EspressoForge replying to RickG »

When you PID the single boiler machines, they are mostly espresso only (switching to steam still takes a while, though this doesn't seem to be the case with the Crossland as it uses a thermoblock to steam...still I would prefer boiler steam). Alternatively most lever machines offer the ability to steam milk almost instantly, but there are some that are open boilers and can't steam at all.

I'd look into a Ponte Vecchio Export to see if you can find a used one. I think they pull a shot that's more forgiving and easier than the standard 58mm basket for a newbie to learn. But this is just my opinion, the above pump machines may work just fine for you.