What Europeans call coffee

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Trumpeter

#1: Post by Trumpeter »

Hello! - First post here.

I recently returned from a perfect vacation in Belgium. We spent time in Brugge and Ghent, as well as a drive through southern Belgium.

The point...

All through our travels, we found that "cafe" means something different in many locations. Sometimes, I could simply say "cafe" and they would nod and bring out this perfect cup of coffee. Other times I'd say "cafe" and they would look puzzled and ask what kind.

Americano? Espresso? Cappuccino?

Just a regular coffee.

Sometimes it was a process. Often times, they had no idea what I was talking about. But that is neither here nor there.

The point is, after all of my questions, I never did figure out what they were serving me. It always came out of a machine - looked as if they were dispensing espresso. Served in a 6oz cup, (give or take) with cream and sugar on the side and typically a cookie or a chocolate. No, not drip coffee either. This was not plain ol black. Not a latte, not an Americano. I specifically had those to eliminate them.

Now that I am home, I want to replicate this and make it my everyday home coffee..

I posted this here because I watched them brew this from a machine and I am looking at buying one, providing I can ever put this together.

Thank you for your input.

Eastsideloco

#2: Post by Eastsideloco »

Sounds like a Swiss caffe crema to me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caff%C3%A8_crema

According to wikipedia, a variant of this drink is served in Belgium:
The term "caffè crema" also refers to a long espresso drink, popular since the 1980s in southern Switzerland and northern Italy. It is generally served as the standard "café traditionnel" in Belgium. It is produced by running 180 ml-240 ml (6-8 oz) of water when brewing an espresso, primarily by using a coarser grind. It is similar to an americano or a long black, except that these latter are diluted espresso, and consist of making ("pulling") a normal (short) espresso shot and combining it with unbrewed hot water. By contrast, a caffè crema extracts differently, and thus has a different flavor profile.

Trumpeter (original poster)

#3: Post by Trumpeter (original poster) »

Yes! Thank you

A diluted espresso. 6+ oz of water instead of 1oz.

I searched and searched, but since I didn't really know the term for what I was looking for, I was having an impossible time finding my answer.

bostonbuzz

#4: Post by bostonbuzz »

Sounds like Matt Perger was just copying the normal Swiss Coffee! Search for "coffee shot."
LMWDP #353

AngerManagement

#5: Post by AngerManagement »

My daughter tells me they are all commercial POD type machines..
Ability is nothing without opportunity. - Napoleon Bonaparte

weebit_nutty

#6: Post by weebit_nutty »

The Sad truth: the worst coffee I ever had was prepared by a human.. And worse, I paid them for it.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?