Bitter Shots: Rancilio Silvia (PID) - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
LukeFlynn (original poster)

#11: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) »

forgetcolor wrote:I've got a PID'd Silvia and had the same problem when I first got it. Based on the published PID info I was running the PID temp up around 219 in order to get around 200F. Everything was bitter and bad. I started experimenting with the PID temp, thinking I may have been using an incorrect offset. Once I got the PID down to around 213.5F everything clicked into place. I started getting great shots, and at their best they were the best shots I'd had.

So I'd suggest adjusting your PID set temp. If you Google you can find some procedures for figuring out your offset based on setting it, running the pump, adjust, set it, run the pump, etc... until it stops flashing to steam. But I never did this---once I got good shots I didn't care what my precise offset is (though I figure it's really more around 13-15 deg F rather than the 18 deg F Auber says).
Yeah, I looked at pidsilvia.com and saw that, I suppose i'll try that. I was going off something I saw on SeatleCoffeeGear, however they are using the PID that has pre-infusion, not sure if that has anything to do with it, their probe might be a bit off too, who knows.. I'll be sure to try this!