Rocket R58 or Rocket Cellini Professional

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
runtris

#1: Post by runtris »

I had a classic Cellini for 5 years it always made great espresso and cappuccino but this week I believe it has meet its demise.
So I'm looking at a new machine more the Cellini professional than the Rocket R58 but would like input as I have never used a Double Boiler before. I'm not sure the smaller boiler on the R58 will have the same results as the single larger boiler on the Cellini when it comes to pouring shots.
Any input would be greatly appreciated as well as recommendations on other machines.
Thanks in advance
Bill

smite

#2: Post by smite »

Bill,

Welcome to the site. You might want to watch this helpful video that is part of a series that Dan (HB) put together, that talks a bit about the differences between Heat Exchanger machines and Double Boilers.

This will greatly help in getting a sense of the difference and provide you with a foundation of understanding to help think through of what that means in terms of pulling shots and recovery time on an HX vs DB machine.

Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Heat Exchanger vs. Double Boiler Espresso Machines [video]

Once you have a better sense of the pros/cons for each type others can probably chime in on the specifics for the machines that you are considering.

Good luck.

Jasonmck

#3: Post by Jasonmck »

I was recently in the same position. I was back and forth between the R58 and the Evoluzione. I went with the R58. The double boiler has never let me down. Shot and steam after shot and steam

runtris (original poster)

#4: Post by runtris (original poster) »

Thank You

#5: Post by runtris (original poster) »

I wish I would have waited I just purchased the Giotto Evoluzione V2, wanted a Cellini but it seems everyone was sold out.
How does R58 do with the multiple shots? I normally start out my day making a cup of cappuccino but on weekends I make any where from four to over twenty espressos or cappuccinos a day for friends and neighbors.
Thanks
Bill

Jasonmck

#6: Post by Jasonmck »

I'd recommend putting the machine on a timer. The key is to get it warmed up for the morning brew.
With my R58 I typically wake up and power it on. Run around feeding the various pets we have (Way too many) then jump in the shower. When I'm out it is ready to go. I make a latte for my wife and a Americano for myself.
After that I leave it on until around 4PM and do 5 to 20 Latte, Caps, Macs, or Flat whites through out the day. never having to wait for a recovery.

#7: Post by runtris (original poster) »

I need to find a good timer that is also a surge protector. I lost my first Cellini to a massive power surge, the second I placed on a surge protector but left it on 24 / 7 and it would appear after five years the boiler went.

cdneddy

#8: Post by cdneddy »

What is your intended use for the machine? Home or light commercial use?

I recently acquired a Giotto Evoluzione. I have it plummed in and I am able to produce 4 double shots constantly without too much deviation in taste. Anything more and I do notice a change in taste.

The R58 is great, but i think if you are just going to use it at home, then the Evoluzione will be more than sufficient. Save the money to get some good quality coffee instead :)