Ponte Vecchio Lusso creaking noise

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
kallan

#1: Post by kallan »

Hi i recently bought a new ponte vecchio lusso, after about 4 days i started to hear a creaking noise which sounds like its coming from the spring when the piston is under pressure (lever moving up).
now about 4 days later i am getting the same creaking noise when i pull the lever down.
i cant find anything on any forums which would indicate that this is normal, i have only pulled the lever when the machine is under pressure and i have tried using olive oil as a lubricant.
as the machine is now only around 8 days old i have not tried any form of internal inspection
has anyone else experienced this problem in a new machine or at any time
any help or advice would be most appreciated

grog

#2: Post by grog »

I had this issue on my Sama Export. Doug from OE noted that it is easily remedied by a bit of Dow 111 or similar on each end of the spring. Requires taking the group apart, which is a bit complicated, but it does address the creaking sound.
LMWDP #514

Advertisement
DanoM

#3: Post by DanoM »

You should invest in a little Dow 111 or Molykote 111 as it's more properly known these days. Typically inexpensively available. It holds up to water and hot water well as a lubricant. Ditch the olive oil and use a far better lube.

As the poster above mentioned lubricating the ends of the springs will allow them to twist and turn slightly without making that creaking noise.

Enjoy that new lever!
LMWDP #445

peacecup

#4: Post by peacecup »

I've never had this kind of creaking, but it's been written about for spring levers in general. Lubrication seems to help sometimes. I use very small amounts of olive oil on the external working parts, although I know there may be better lubricants.

Taking apart the group to lubricate the spring may help, but I'm not certain. I would try lubricating the external parts first and using the machine a little while before you take it apart. Removing and replacing the piston requires some effort, skill, and patience, and you need to have spare seals available in case you damage them.

Eventually the moisture from daily use may fix it. Although the spring does not come into contact with much water during normal use, I suppose enough moisture remains inside the piston cylinder to lubricate the spring.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

kallan (original poster)

#5: Post by kallan (original poster) »

Thanks to everyone for your replies and suggestions, i will give the olive oil a couple of days, if that dosnt solve the problem i will look at stripping it down and lubing the spring, i was hoping i wouldnt have to do this after only 8 days from new
Again many thanks
Keith