Water in steam pressure gauge - La Marzocco GS3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Italyhound »

Hmm. Here's a new one. Only in this gauge and I think it has to be coming from inside, as I don't get water on the gauge. Could it be refluxing from the steam line through a loose nut or a failed seal?

Ideas welcome. :)

Thanks

Derekb

#2: Post by Derekb »

It looks like a leaking Bourdon tube. Did you check connections inside to be sure nothing is loose allowing water to condense in there? If all is tight then must be a faulty gauge. Although it appears the gauge is working?
Let us know!

shadowfax

#3: Post by shadowfax »

Derekb wrote:It looks like a leaking Bourdon tube [...] Although it appears the gauge is working?
I bet this guess is right. I think it'd be pretty hard to get that much water into the gauge any other way. I'd also say that the gauge ought to still work, as long as the leak is very small, so that isn't necessarily a surprise.

You can actually remove that gauge's faceplate without too much trouble, from what I recall. You just have to take the gauge out of the mount and the metal ring around the faceplate slides off. It's probably been 3 years since I did this-I took mine off because there was some debris on the back side of the gauge glass. So you can pull off the faceplate and dry out the gauge and see if the problem goes away, but I'd guess the only real solution is replacement.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Mayhem
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Mayhem »

The pressure gauge on my Linea started leaking maybe a year ago. There were steam and condensation underneath the glass, and on the inside of the machine water was dripping out into an increasingly large puddle. Ended up replacing the whole gauge as that seemed like the simplest solution.
Too much is not enough

Italyhound (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Italyhound (original poster) »

Mayhem wrote:Ended up replacing the whole gauge as that seemed like the simplest solution.
Simple indeed. All done.