How do you remove a shower screen (from Sama Export)?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
beer&mathematics

#1: Post by beer&mathematics »

Two questions.

First, I managed to remove the pf gasket with the pick tool from OE but I was quite barbaric and poked it. Visually it looks good but I know I poked some holes. Should I buy a new one?

Second, once the gasket is out, how in the world do you remove the shower screen?

It's been a year since I've had the machine so it is due for a cleaning
LMWDP #431

opother

#2: Post by opother »

I would get a new gasket if I were you however I would not be surprised if the old gasket still works.

The shower screen on the Sama Export is made of a spring temper metal and pops off like a soda bottle cap without bending. You need to carefully pry it out with a screwdriver until it pops off. This may not be so easy if your machine is laden with coffee residue gunk and I would recommend that you clean the inside of the group with a coffee cleaning detergent such as Cafiza before attempting to do it.

I am not too sure if replacement Export shower screens are easy to come by but I suspect the Ponte Vecchio (Export and Lusso) shower screens will fit. I have not confirmed this.

If you know how getting the piston and spring out is not so hard but getting it back in is an accquired skill when you don't have the special hard to get pricey tool to compress and reassemble them without damaging the seals.

I would like to point out that it is not really essential to remove the shower screen to properly clean this machine and if you are uncomfortable doing it leaving it in place is not a big deal unless you need to relube the piston chamber in which case you can smear lube inside while the piston is up when you hold down the lever.

After my experience dealing with the spring and piston assembly I refuse to disassemble mine again (I have done it a few times in the past) unless my seals need to be replaced.

Advertisement
SJM

#3: Post by SJM »

opother wrote: I am not too sure if replacement Export shower screens are easy to come by but I suspect the Ponte Vecchio (Export and Lusso) shower screens will fit. I have not confirmed this.
The person who is most likely to have the part you want is Joe (Kittay) at The Good Coffee Company in Seattle.

Address: 818 Post Ave, Seattle, WA 98104
Phone:(206) 622-5602

Joe stocks the parts, knows all about them, and charges almost nothing for them either.
There is no internet access; you have to call.

peacecup

#4: Post by peacecup »

The shower screen is more easily removed with a hooked screwdriver or paint can opener, pulled straight downwards. They are spring-formed and can get a bit deformed by the process, but I never needed to replace one yet. The screen comes off before the gasket. Replacing the gasket is good once in a while, if it is really hard and compressed. I've needed to pry or cut them out, but be careful not to damage the soft brass group. The new one is easy to put in.

As noted removing the piston is a pain, but becomes manageable with practice. Tools are available to make the job easier, but expensive.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

beer&mathematics (original poster)

#5: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

Thanks for all the tips folks--I chose a bad weekend to try to do this as I thought it would be a quick matter to just do a light cleaning. Anyways, it's finals week so I gotta submit grades and all that so this project is on hold. I do want to avoid, at all costs, removing the piston.
LMWDP #431