Elusive coffee tastes - ready to give up! - Page 5

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
rjamadagni

#41: Post by rjamadagni »

I seal the beans in bags with one-way valves.
Gary, if you don't mind, what kind of bags are you referring here? Normal ziplock with pump or something else?

Raj

drgary
Team HB

#42: Post by drgary »

I was referring to the type of lined bag you get from a quality coffee roasting company, where a one-way valve is part of the bag. That valve allows you to squeeze out the air in the bag without letting air come back in from outside. You especially don't want freezer smell.

But I'm also suggesting a bit of a less finicky approach as long as you're not trying to store your coffee beyond a few weeks. Sometimes I use Mason jars that are filled with coffee. Especially if they're large jars, the beans won't degrade quickly. If I'm using something equivalent to a Ziploc bag I will also push the air out and double bag it to avoid the intrusion of freezer smells.

You can also do this more carefully, of course, with a vacuum system. But when I'm going through a 12 oz bag of coffee frozen at peak within a couple of weeks, the coffee stays fresh enough.

OK. Back on topic, or I can split off this discussion to its own topic. Feel free to PM me about this too.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ciaodown

#43: Post by ciaodown »

espressotime

#44: Post by espressotime »

I'm with you for 90%.
The only fruit I ever tasted in espresso was lemon.
I also taste vanilla,chocolate and caramel.Sometimes little spice.
That's it.
But mostly I love the espresso I roast and pull.
Try some coffee at restaurants and friends houses .It'll remind you how bad coffee can be and maybe that will make you feel beter.