ECM Technika Profi IV preinfusion

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Hwynboy

#1: Post by Hwynboy »

So I have had my machine for 3 months now and am totally in love...I make non coffee drinkers into coffee drinkers with my espresso machine. I am finally making good pulls that taste great. I was wondering about preinfusion and playing with that to see how it works. I'm a bit unclear how it works based on the instructions, and the service when you email Germany does not work. Can anyone help me with this process? Anyone have any experience or guidance?

kwantfm

#2: Post by kwantfm »

E61s by design naturally have some level of preinfusion. I've gone a little more extreme with my process, grinding very fine, switching on the pump until the pump pressure gauge first reaches 9 bar and then pushing the lever to the middle detente until first drops of espresso about 30 seconds later. I'm finding the flavours and body phenomenal.
LMWDP #602

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Hwynboy wrote:I'm a bit unclear how it works based on the instructions...
The thread Internals of an E61 Brew Head explains in considerable detail.
Dan Kehn

boar_d_laze

#4: Post by boar_d_laze »

Here's how E-61 pre-infusion works
Start the machine's pump and water flows through a jet into a small upper reservoir in the head which is in line with another reservoir above the basket. Water flows through the reservoirs and into the basket at low pressure. When filled, pressure rises inside the reservoirs and opens a spring loaded valve, the valve allows the water to flow through a wider channel, so that the water can then flow at full brew-pressure.

Note that the valve is spring loaded and that -- contrary to near universal belief on espresso forums -- E-61 pre-infusion has nothing to do with whether the group is operated by a lever or an electronic switch.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Lockman

#5: Post by Lockman replying to boar_d_laze »

Good to know!

One less thing to spend hours researching.

Thanks Rich!
LMWDP #226.

"It takes many victims to make a culinary masterpiece"

Beenbag

#6: Post by Beenbag »

boar_d_laze wrote:Here's how E-61 pre-infusion works
Start the machine's pump and water flows through a jet into a small upper reservoir in the head which is in line with another reservoir above the basket. Water flows through the reservoirs and into the basket at low pressure. When filled, pressure rises inside the reservoirs and opens a spring loaded valve, the valve allows the water to flow through a wider channel, so that the water can then flow at full brew pressure.
Rich
Sorry Rich, but that is a very misguided and incorrect impression of how an E61 operates.
I suggest you look at the link provided in the previous post to better understand. :o

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

boar_d_laze wrote:Note that the valve is spring loaded and that -- contrary to near universal belief on espresso forums -- E-61 pre-infusion has nothing to do with whether the group is operated by a lever or an electronic switch.
The only E61 models I've seen with an electronic switch also had no expansion chamber, which has a lot to do with preinfusion:

La Valentina (left) has progressive preinfusion, Levetta (right) has "true" E61 preinfusion

In the reviews, I refer to preinfusion accomplished by a restrictor (gicleur) as progressive preinfusion. Coupled with a vibratory pump which naturally ramps up in pressure more slowly than a rotary pump, progressive preinfusion is quite effective. However, technically, the group on the left above isn't a "true" E61, at least in terms of the claims described in the original patent. That said, I was pleased with the La Valentina's performance and consider its lack of expansion chamber more of a technicality than a distinction one would taste.

PS: For those who are really interested, Pressure profiles, preinfusion and the forgiveness factor discusses other preinfusion trivia, e.g., the (tiny) difference in the pressure profile of an E61 with rotary pump versus vibratory pump.
Dan Kehn