Any tips for removing a Compak K10 doser star?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
spencerwebb

#1: Post by spencerwebb »

Hi guys,

I've lurked around here for many years and learned a lot and due to the vast amounts of information already here I've never actually found myself having to post here. However, I'm a little stuck with this one and know that there are quite a few here who own or have owned the K10 Doser grinders. Anyway I picked one up last night and I'm trying to perform the sweeper mods as detailed here however I'm having a little bit of trouble removing the adjustment knob (cone shaped thing in the middle of the doser) that seems to hold everything in place.

Have read around and having looked at photos of the parts once removed it appears to screw on. I just wanted to check that this was the case and that it is a standard thread i.e. anti-clockwise to remove?

Finally can it be removed safely by just twisting by hand or should I be removing other parts first?

Many thanks

Spence

Peppersass

#2: Post by Peppersass »

I don't have the doser in front of me, but my recollection is that all you have to do is hold the sweeper vanes stationary and turn the tension knob anti-clpckwise. It will eventually unscrew and come off. There's a small round spring clip on the shaft that must be removed before you can lift out the star. That can be done with a fingernail or two. You can use a small screwdriver to pry the ring off, but be careful not to bend/deform it or scrape the shaft.

spencerwebb (original poster)

#3: Post by spencerwebb (original poster) »

Cheers Dick! I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

#4: Post by spencerwebb (original poster) »

Sorted Dick, many thanks, it was on pretty tight. In the end I had to use an adjustable spanner to add some extra leverage.

Cheers

Spence

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

One trick to free the adjustment "knob" is to hold it tightly & give the doser handle a quick pull. This will usually break it free.
LMWDP 267

#6: Post by spencerwebb (original poster) »

Thanks John! Also thanks for the many previous informative posts regarding the mods that can be made to the K10, it certainly helped with my decision to purchase. Based on the two shots I pulled yesterday, it was the correct decision.

Thanks

Spence

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

You're welcome. I'm sure that you will be very happy with your K10. Is your QM Verona DB the same as the Vetrano 2B we get over here?
LMWDP 267

#8: Post by spencerwebb (original poster) »

I believe it is, I think that there are a couple of differences in heater power and PID settings (from what I've read) but it's essentially the same machine. I love it.

I'm going to purchase a dremel tomorrow and go to town on the the exit chute and then get the sweep modded.

I moved from a mazzer royal to the K10 and the difference so far is quite something. Even when the shot is not perfect it's not anywhere near as bad as it would have tasted on the Royal. Once you get it dialled in then it's a totally different beast. Still learning though.