OE Pharos proper cleaning of the burrs?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Travisimo

#1: Post by Travisimo »

I recently received the OE Pharos handcrafted espresso hand grinder.
I was wondering since these are not ceramic (can't be washed):

1) What do you guys think is best to remove the oils from all the prior grinding?
2) Is a toothbrush or paintbrush the adequate way of cleaning the burrs and prevent rust?

I heard other people use rice or grindz, etc.

Note: I read some people just say use more beans yet I want to remove the oils. I don't use the dark oily roasts, I use only the medium & medium-light roasts only!

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

I believe you want to season the burrs with coffee oil, not remove it. Here's Jim Schulman's take on it:
another_jim wrote:A grinder crushes the beans on the flat parts of the burr surface (the burrs push the beans through). So the microscopic texture of those surfaces is in play. The burrs are made of carbon steel, not stainless, and my guess is that these surfaces need to be polished and seasoned, much like those of a cast iron or carbon steel pans.
That's from this thread.

Grinder burr seasoning?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Travisimo (original poster)

#3: Post by Travisimo (original poster) »

Thanks for the quick reply DrGary...Good to know! Seasoning of the grinding burrs!

Titan class-like Pharos grinder major improvements over cheaper handmills!

I now realize first hand at home the saying that "the Grinder is the real rock star" of espresso prep. :shock:
I tell ya from using a OE Pharos for espresso now compared to my earlier humble Hario Skerton.

The Pharos commercial 68mm burrs make grinding quicker, the separation of flavors is so much better and my grinds are so much more consistently making my Auber PID'd Gaggia Evolution with Router variable speed switch (poor-man's pressure profiling) extract so much better!

Dan's HB site and the HB team are top notch when it comes to finding all there is to better coffee prep and the art of brewing.

Best Regards,

Travis

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

You're welcome, and congratulations on your new Pharos. Now you can pay more attention on the coffee and less on fiddling with the grinder.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Lockman

#5: Post by Lockman »

Wow! That is a beauty!
Gonna have to spend some research time on time on this. Love the idea of having to work to get my cup o' joe :lol: .
Are we really talking taking it to the level of a $2000 grinder in small batches! :o
LMWDP #226.

"It takes many victims to make a culinary masterpiece"

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Lockman wrote:Are we really talking taking it to the level of a $2000 grinder in small batches! :o
Yes, although you can get electric grinders with similar burr sets for less than $1400 these days, like the Compak K10 Pro Barista or even about $1100 for a Fiorenzato Doge Conico.
Gary
LMWDP#308